1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't shut down - lost path ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Geoff Hands, 2011/02/23.

1. 2011/02/23
    Geoff Hands Lifetime Subscription

Geoff Hands Well-Known Member Thread Starter

UK south coast - a village near Bournemouth
    Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I am trying to get a new printer driver, and started by deleting the old (corrupt)one, which requires a restart. IN closing down I get an annoying pop-up window about "Rebate Manager ", so I try to get rid of that , but it won't delete entirely from C\Programs\... and then I get a message about a Tray App.which tells me thatthe path " C\Users\GEOFFR~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ etc etc can't be found . I am to verify that I have access to the location, or try to find the installation package "TrayASpp.msi "from which I can install the product Tray App.
    When I look in C\Users I can find C\Users\Geoffrey... but not C\Users\Geoff~1.
    The upshot of all this is that I am in a loop going round in circles.
    Big cry for help !

Later - I got a window allowing me to force shut down - which I did, and then on restarting got the Rebate Informer window back, and another Tray App window saying that the feature I am trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Last edited: 2011/02/23
  2. 2011/02/23
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/02/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Computer Experience:
    Usually not enough
    Where are you trying to download the printer driver from? Anywhere but the manufacturer's web site is ill advised - you may have got more than you bargained for :)

Rebate Manager or Rebate Informer - which is it?

Judging from hits on Google this is something to do with a Rebates web site - I suspect it is malware ......

Head over to the Malware & Virus Removal forum and .....

Please read this as indicated at the head of the forum and post the logs requested in a new thread with a link to this thread, which is .....

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-7/97922-cant-shut-down-lost-path.html

Arie beat me to it :)

5. 2011/02/23

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Hi Arie,
    I have been working my way through the directions but met a problem. The first scan - Temp File Cleaner found no problems. The GMER one ran, but presently I got a screen of blinding flashes and the message that Windows had encountered a problem and needed to shut down for safety - I forget the exact words, it all happened very quickly and then the machine shut down. I restarted and found that GMER and Temp cleaner had both disappeared from my desk-top.
    So far, I have been unable to carry on, since I am now unable to connect to the internet ( with the PC where I am having problems) - this message is being sent on my lap-top which is wireless connected to the same router as the pc is connected by cable - and I have just checked the connection and even with the wireless link the download speed is over 2Mbs which is good for this area. I will have another try with the PC, , restarting etc.....

In th meantime I will reply to PeteC's questions below.

6. 2011/02/23

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    After restarting my PC I have been able to get back on the internet, and also found that MBAM-setup is still there , its just the short cut which has disappeared. But now I can't open my security programme in order to temporarily disable it.
    I still have Rebate informer popping up, although the window does close when I X it , but I still haveThe Tray-App windopws which I can't get rid of.
    Now I've got an error message about my security - I will swirtch to the Pc and try and sort it out.

7. 2011/02/23

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I'm now in a chat room with Norton Security.

8. 2011/02/23

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Norton Security took over my PC, and seem to have solved everything - that is , the Tray-App windows have disappeared, and so has the Rebate Informer ( cross fingers ! )
    I can now go back to uninstalling the old HP printer stuff, and try and find new drivers - from the Hp of course.
    Thank you both for your help. I'll mark this as resolved - and just advise others to buy Norton 360 !