1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't send link

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by vegaspat, 2008/02/18.

1. 2008/02/18
    vegaspat

vegaspat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was attempting to "send" a web link to my self and keep getting the following message:
    WINDOWS INTERNET EXPLORER

Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed.
    I don't use Internet Explorer and always use Thunderbird and Firefox. Is there some setting I'm missing?

I also did try to do it using the IE Tab that I installed in Firefox. Same message.

I was always able to do this simple operation before my computers freaked out on me.

Hopefully there is a simple correction answer for this issue. I haven't even solved other issues I have.

Thanks.

2. 2008/02/18
    vegaspat

Another issue with this problem.

I just tried to use the little "Get Mail" Add-on that I installed. It worked when I first installed it. It will send me to my mailbox but won't let me write a new message from within Firefox.

Time for frustration once again.

I now have two different issues on two different computers. This one is on the Vista PC and the Profile issue is on the XP PC.

No wonder I'm so confused about everything.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

How do you try to send your link? I right click on the link|copy it, or highlight it if it is an open page|Copy and then right click|Paste it wherever you want it.
    Example: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=71316
    for the original thread.
    As for Get Mail, I have no idea what Vista would do, but it will not open in Firefox, as it is a link to open Thunderbird, or, possibly another Mail program, using Get Mail Plus. You can get to it, from Tools|Get Mail| Read or New Message, or from the handy icon in Firefox. But, you have to make a selection of either Read or New Message. It works as designed, if you don't expect it to open some Mail in the browser. It is a way to open Mail, after all.

5. 2008/02/18
    vegaspat

I have GetMail Plus 3.0 installed per your last help on this issue. But I am telling you that in the PAST while in Firefox I could click on New Message and a Compose Window would open. As fas as I know I always had two options so obviously I've messed something else up.

And I NEVER had to copy and paste a link. While on a site, sometimes instead of bookmarking it I would click on File/Send Link and an email Compose Window would pop up and I could forward the link to myself or a friend.

So I suppose I need to check to see if I previously had another tab installed that would allow what I thought GetMail did.

Thanks.

6. 2008/02/18
    vegaspat

Westside,

I found this on their web site and haven't done anything. Perhaps I will be able to figure this out later.

Q: Nothing happens when I click on "New Message" How can I fix this?
    A: Type about:config in the urlbar... click "Go" or hit enter.
    Scroll down and find network.protocol-handler.external.mailto
    Make sure it's value is set to true.

If your having problems setting and accessing the default email program...
    Most problems seem to be with Windows. Please try the steps below one at a time.

Step 1. Do the obvious! Make sure the email program you are trying to access is set as
    default through the program itself.

Step 2. Go to Start > Set Program Access and Defaults > click Custom.
    Set the default email program of choice there.
    You may need to restart your computer for this change to take affect.

Step 3. Use The Windows Default Mail Utility. Or...
    Use Get Mail Plus listed above.

7. 2008/02/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

You should not have to do anything with the Q & A part, if Firefox and Thunderbird are default.
    As usual, you have not indicated that you read my suggestions, nor do I have a clue of what you are doing. If you want any more ssistance from me, answer my questions, or I will stop replying.
    It is getting ridiculous. We may be at this for years!
    My patience is long gone.

8. 2008/02/18
    vegaspat

Sorry I'm frustrating you. As far as I know I've read everything you've written and answered your questions.

I'll try to research this myself. I just sent you the info I had found while searching the web.

TB and FF have always been my default programs.

Thanks anyway and sorry again.

9. 2008/02/18
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Pat,

Open Firefox in SAFE mode, and see if you can "send link" by right clicking. If not, then try setting OE as the default e-mail client, then set Thunderbird as default again.

You can do this via:
    Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults (Left Panel) | Custom

Set Outlook Express as default, Then close the dialog
    Re-open, then set Thunderbird as default

10. 2008/02/18
    vegaspat

Ramona,

Thanks. I will print your message off also and give it a try.

I feel lucky to have two computers but I realize it's double trouble.

I have not even attempted to work with the XP and the dial-up problem and profile because right now I'm a little fed up with my ISP. They have not returned several phone calls or an email to their help desk.

I want to know why I wasn't notified about the new log on issue. I spent a lot of time the other day trying to even get connected. Since they were bought out by this other company I'm wondering if they will even continue dial-up service. They are pushing DSL and it would cost a lot more than what I have.

Thanks again. I need a lot of help, mostly a shrink. <G>

11. 2008/02/18
    Ramona

Pat,

No shrink neccessary, just be calm and address one problem at a time. You are somewhat scattered now, and it's kind of hard to keep track of your problems. Let's solve this one first, then move on to the next instead of trying to solve all at the same time. Never fear, we will get you up and running again. ;)

12. 2008/02/19
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I did all you suggested. No deal in Safe Mode. I changed the defaults as you said and that didn't help either. While in the Default area I looked at everything and saw nothing strange.

I even uninstalled the IE Tab, rebooted and that didn't help either. I now have it installed again.

One other thing. I tried to place an order on line earlier and needed to contact their customer service. Of course I should have known better because when I tried to click on their support link-sales@------I got that stupid error message.' COULD NOT PERFORM THIS OPERATION BECAUSE THE DEFAULT MAIL CLIENT IS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED.'

And Vista no longer calls the email client Outlook Express. It is now called Windows Mail.

13. 2008/02/19
    Ramona

Pat,

Open Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types
    Click on the "Advanced" Tab
    Click on: open
    Click on: Edit

What is in the "Application used to perform action" field? Is this what you have:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -osint -compose "%1 "

Also, ensure that the DDE box is checked.

14. 2008/02/19
    vegaspat

Ramona,

This not going to be easy. First of all in Vista you can't get to the files types as we used to do in XP and before. It took me 1/2 hour to find out how to view the darn file types which USED to be an easy task. Now it's under something very different. I had no need to look before so didn't know this would be an issue.

I did look at everything there and checked anything that had to do with Firefox and TB. Saw nothing that would cause a problem.

Just don't know what to do.

BTW, while I was freezing downstairs and working on the Profile problem I checked Get Mail and the IE tab and they worked just fine.

At this point I don't care about the problems here. It's causing extra work for you and nothing else that I've spent time searching for has given any additional solutions.

I found a guy on another board who has Vista, FF, TB, GET Mail and the IE tab and he has not problems at all.

I'm just at a loss as what is causing this problem.

If you want to give up I can certainly understand.

If there are corrupt files on this PC wouldn't an install overwrite the bad files?

15. 2008/02/19
    Ramona

Pat,

Sorry I'm not more familiar with Windows Vista, and the settings. I did find this information on changing File Types in Windows Vista:

Edit File Types in Windows Vista

The Folder Options window in Windows Vista is missing the File Types tab found in earlier versions of Windows. So how do you edit file type associations in Windows Vista?

There are three ways:

Method #1 (on the fly):

1. Right-click a file of the type you want to change, and select Properties.
    2. In the General tab, click the Change button.
    3. Choose a program from the list, or click Browse to select an .EXE file on your hard disk.

Method #2 (view a list of file types):

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel Home, click Programs, and then click Make a file type always open in a specific program.

Or, in the Classic View, open Default Programs and then click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    3. Highlight a file type in the list and click Change Program.

Unfortunately, neither method in Vista allows you to choose anything but the default programs, such as the programs listed in your files' context menus. If you want complete control over your file types, use this tool:

Method #3 (File Type Doctor):

1. Download and install Creative Element Power Tools
    2. Open the Creative Element Power Tools Control Panel.
    3. Turn on the Edit file type associations option, and click Accept.
    4. Right-click a file of the type you want to change, and select Edit File Type to show this window:
    File Type Doctor
    5. Click Help if you need more information.

I've found numerous postings throughout a Google Search with the error you are receiving, and the solution is usually this:

Try setting another e-mail Client such as Windows Mail as the default e-mail client, then set Thunderbird as default again.

You can do this via the Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set your default programs dialog. Firstly use it to set Windows Mail as default, close the dialog, re-open it then set Thunderbird as default.

I know that you tried it once, but I would give it another try...

Personally I would never reinstall Windows to fix a program, however, if your PC is brand new you should consult the manufacturer support if you intend doing so.

16. 2008/02/19
    vegaspat

That's the same article I found when I was looking for the file type settings. I printed it off and then went searching on my PC so that I could let you know if I saw anything. It's nothing like our old XP.:confused:

And yes I did do the Windows Mail default and IE and then back again. I will do it again with a re-boot in between.

NO NO NO! I would NEVER re-install Windows. I'm not THAT stupid. <G>

I meant just Thunderbird on the other PC and FF on this one. After I uninstalled them I would do a search of my hard drive for any file pertaining to them and make sure those configuration files were gone. (ini)

17. 2008/02/20
    Ramona

Let's concentrate on just one thing at a time, one PC at a time. You decide which one is your priority and we will go from there.

I don't think you're stupid, just frustrated...

18. 2008/02/20
    vegaspat

Thanks.

That's a good point. Tomorrow I will concentrate on the Profile problem.

I can live without the issue in Firefox for a while. I'm bound to figure out what is going on. Could be something to do with Vista. The XP Firefox doesn't have this problem.

19. 2008/02/20
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Please, forgive me for having lost my patience, but I was trying to tell you what Ramona was. One item at a time.
    I want you to go from being confused and frustrated to confident. You can do it.
    And, as far as I am concerned Vista is evil.

20. 2008/02/22
    vegaspat

Yesterday after checking on the Internet for this problem I un-installed Firefox and re-installed it. Before I did that I checked all of the Program defaults and did not install any Add-ons. Everything seemed to be okay.

Since I have no problem like this on another PC I'm wondering if it's a Vista problem. I will keep searching and perhaps I'll luck out and find something.

There are ways to work around it but it seems strange that while in the browser you can't perform a function that is offered.

Thanks to all for the help.

21. 2008/02/22
    Ramona

You mean that you can "Send Link" from a web page?

I don't believe it is a Vista problem as if it were, this Forum would be full of users with the same problem you're having. Be patient, as I'm working on it.