1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't run downloaded files

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by wjburl, 2012/10/19.

1. 2012/10/19
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just did a clean install of Win 8 Release Preview, 64 bit. I moved my profile from C: (SSD) to d: (HDD) using a recommendation I found in another forum. I did not move the program data. I wanted to download and install some programs, but when I do, I can't get them to run. They are setup .exe programs. In IE if I click to open, nothing happens. I clicked on View Downloads in IE and it opens a Window with the downloads and if I try to open one a list is shown that asks how do you want to open this file and a list of programs like IE, Notepad, Paint, etc.

I've pre-ordered Win 8 to install when it is shipped.

Last edited: 2012/10/19
  2. 2012/10/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Right... so better check back there?

This is my take on the matter: Windows 7: Optimize Windows 7 for use with a Solid State Drive (SSD)

Open one... what? A Setup.exe? Are you sure it is a Windows Executable you downloaded?

Personally I wouldn't bother with the preview, but get the Final version instead. Just 6 days more...

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/10/20
    wjburl

Yes, it was Chromesetup.exe. Since then, I downloaded Chromesetup.exe on a Win 7 computer and saved it on Skydrive. I ran it on the Win 8 computer from Skydrive and now I can download exe files in Chrome and they run just fine. I just built this other computer for my wife and wanted to learn how things work.

5. 2012/10/28
    wjburl

I installed Win 8 Pro Upgrade on this computer that has only had the Windows 8 Release Preview running. The installation went without any problems and the problem I mentioned in the first post of this thread disappeared. On the save window, only the "Nothing" option was shown. I also tried to install the $15 version of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade on a recently purchased Dell Laptop and the installation hangs near the end at the point after the message that it may restart several times. I've waited as long as two hours before I power down and restart. It restores the system to Windows 7, but during the installation process, I was forced to uninstall 11 items. That included some applications and drivers. I've tried this three times. Now I'll do a restore of my original system and keep using Win 7.