1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't repair with safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FuzMic, 2016/08/02.

1. 2016/08/02
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi admin

Great new interface for the forum.

I have an pc running xpwin.sp3. Due to power failure, boot in any mode caused a restart as it loads. In the Safe mode booting, it went to last step in DOS mode, then never get into the win.graphic state, ie ends in a restart.
    If i can get a boot going, i have registry back to try to fix it FAST.

So i have to bring up my xpwin.sp3 cd and try a repair. Also a bad case, i don't have Console Recovery to do it.
    I was hoping to find the 2nd repair when the CD identifies the partition but it did not. System only allows a fresh installation.

Some questions
    1. What file or registry corruption could have happened to get into this particular state?
    2. Why sometimes i can get a 2nd repair but not always?

Appreciate advice.

2. 2016/08/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

When you get into DOS type msconfig.exe hit enter then choose Safe Mode. Restart the machine.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/04
    FuzMic

Lj i never reach the dos mode as there is no boot up in any of the option at boot up time. Did i get your wrong?

5. 2016/08/04
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I must have misread your post. I thought you were able to access DOS mode. My apologies. You may have to perform a fresh install of the OS.

lj50,
  6. 2016/08/04
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi FuzMic. Try following the instructions in my guide for repairing Windows XP.

Follow the instructions from If the Windows Repair All in One tool does not repair your issue with Windows XP then you will need a Windows XP CD that is of the same service pack level as your Windows XP installation that point in the tutorial and hopefully you can get your system repaired.

Its hard to know why your system failed to boot up but since you indicated power failure, there could be file corruption on the hard drive which is why your system is not booting up successfully.

7. 2016/09/18
    FuzMic

I threw it out of the window as the pc is really old and slow, xp time.

8. 2016/09/18
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Ok then. Thanks for the update. :)