1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't open device manager

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tocchin, 2010/09/18.

1. 2010/09/18
    Tocchin

Tocchin Inactive Thread Starter

hi guys, seems like I need every help I can get here, as the title says, here's some detail about the error:

"MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc.

This may because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file. "

It was happened several minutes ago. About two days ago, my windows failed to start so I had to run startup repair two times, and after performing startup repair the computer was able to run but it took long at the startup. Is there any connection between those things(device manager issue and failed to start)?

Now for the main question, how can I fix this device manager issue?is there any fix?or should I perform a repair install?

I'm running a 32bit windows 7, and willing to provide any details if necessary. Thanks in advance.

2. 2010/09/18
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

try this:
    "fix it for me "
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914231

then run an ms update and make sure you are up to date.

-------------
    The above didn't do it? Other things to try, that have worked in the past:
    what happens if you do start > run > cmd > eventvwr.msc ?
    or start > run > cmd > services.msc ?

if you can't open anything ending in msc try this
    http://www.dougknox....c/xp_mscfix.zip

if you can open those...but just not devmanager
    try this
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...agerrestore.reg

-----------------------
    Google says this about your error:
    MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

Last edited: 2010/09/18

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/18
    Tocchin

I tried the "fix it for me ", and tried "let me fix it myself" too, still can't access.
    Tried the xp_mscfix.reg but haven't restarted my computer yet, but I can't add devicemanagerrestore.reg.

When I tried "let me fix it myself" a window popped out and says the module "Msxml.dll" failed to load.

I'll try to see what google said about this

5. 2010/09/18
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Phooie :eek: Shame on me. Links refer to xp. I am in win 7 forum, darn it! While your a googlin', I'll help. Two heads may be beter than one. Sorry.

6. 2010/09/18
    Tocchin

Still looking for help, haven't found the answer I'm looking for in google :(

7. 2010/09/18
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Have you administrator rights?

Have you made sure uac security is not set to high?

Have you adjusted startmenu settings to http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/display-the-system-administrative-tools-in-all-programs-menu/

Try startmenu search line and type in devmgmt.msc. Does this show up in list. What happens when you click on it? This should be located in the system32 folder.

Using the "administrator tools " either via in the startmenu or control panel, does the "computer managment" (mmc.exe) console come up? Does device manager show up in the console? What happens when you click on it using this.
    To do so:
    Startmenu button>administrators tools>computer management>device manager

Got the my computer icon on the desktop? Right click propertires should offer another method to open device manager.

Just typing device in the startmenu files search should bring up device manager.

8. 2010/09/18
    Tocchin

Have you administrator rights?
    I think so, I set my account as administrator

Have you made sure uac security is not set to high?
    Sure, I turned off UAC, is this a problem?

Have you adjusted startmenu settings to http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7...programs-menu/
    done

Try startmenu search line and type in devmgmt.msc. Does this show up in list. What happens when you click on it? This should be located in the system32 folder.
    done that already, when I click on it same message appears, MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc and so on

Using the "administrator tools" either via in the startmenu or control panel, does the "computer managment" (mmc.exe) console come up? Does device manager show up in the console? What happens when you click on it using this.
    To do so:
    Startmenu button>administrators tools>computer management>device manager

yes, device manager is listed there, and I can access device manager here

Got the my computer icon on the desktop? Right click propertires should offer another method to open device manager.
    no, but when i right click on my computer(in start menu) properties, and selecting device manager, MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc and message appeared

Just typing device in the startmenu files search should bring up device manager.
    This is what I tried all the time and still a no go

I'm wondering, if I perform repair install, will it fix the problem? but that's the last thing I'll do if all else fail :(

9. 2010/09/18
    runner

runner Inactive

10. 2010/09/18
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi to both of you,

Runner
    you jumped ahead of me. I had this info tucked away so here's my additonal input. I want to confirm that device manager will not open and run in any form. I wish to know computer history and why a startup repair was initially tried in the first place. I need to know if this computer is virus infection free and clean.

Tocchin
    What you have done is a startup repair which is a Windows 7 system recovery tool that scans for and try's to fix certain problems such as damaged system files (MBR, boot.ini file, etc), that might prevent Windows from starting correctly.

Startup Repair

>cannot fix hardware failures [such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory]

>nor does it protect against virus attacks.

>Startup Repair is not designed to fix Windows installation problems.

>Startup Repair is not a backup tool, so it cannot help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents. To help protect your computer, back up your system and files regularly.

Try a sfc /scannow or repair install will do the trick.

Run sfc to check for damaged or missing files:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Or your headed for a repair install, as you have asked and halfway expected.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

11. 2010/09/18
    Tocchin

Yes, it was startup repair, three days ago my computer failed to start correctly, I don't know why, so windows prompted me to do a startup repair. The first one was failed, so I tried the second time with windows installation dvd.

sfc /scannow performed, but it can't repair some of the files, seems like I have to do a repair install, or is there any other tricks before I do this?

12. 2010/09/19
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

booo!

I see you checked back into the board and forum. Any luck yet? Did you run sfc?

Opps! See we were typing at same the same time. Looks like you have some bad news after a file check. I assume the lack of a successful repair would indicate file corruption or harddrive damage due to, hopefully minor, memory blocks or crc's. Not knowing what your root cause was, prior to startup repair, sure makes this hard call. Damaged files or harddrive damage screams for either a repair install or, more likely, clean install. Better think real hard and take steps NOW to back up any data you wish to keep. You may even be facing harddrive failure somewhere in your near future. I hate to be all gloom and doom and realize these are leaped conclusions but experience often makes one a bit pessimistic in some areas.

I was going to offer a few other "device manager" ideas but it looks like you have bigger problems to consider.

Oh shoot! Try these anyway....
    reregister these DLLs

startmenu > run
    RegSvr32 MSXML.DLL
    <enter>

repeat with the following
    RegSvr32 MSXML2.DLL
    RegSvr32 MSXML3.DLL

run line to try:
    run line
    mmc.exe devmgmt.msc

Do a file search for *.msc and check to see if any of these are also problematic.

Go to msupdate and check to see if you have a problem with updating. Suspect you may have "Microsoft XML Parser" problems, that's why I'm curious if you can update without a problem. We'll cross that road should we need to.

You can continue to nurse your computer along. Plenty of work arounds for "administrator tools" links, but I think you should consider the repair and get ready for clean install or, worse case, replacing harddrive.

==============
    Thought just occurred to me. A virus would also cause file repair problems. I wonder if you should consider a trip to our virus/malware/adware forum. At least give this a shot before throwing in the towel.

Read this post, then post the requested log(s) in the Malware and Virus Removal forum.

Last edited: 2010/09/19
  13. 2010/09/19
    Tocchin

Just as I thought, hard drive failure may be the problem

startmenu > run
    RegSvr32 MSXML.DLL
    <enter>

failed to load

repeat with the following
    RegSvr32 MSXML2.DLL

failed to load

RegSvr32 MSXML3.DLL
    only this one was succesfully loaded

Ah, about virus, I think I found something in my computer, I'll go to virus and malware removal right away.

Thanks for the help both of you :)

14. 2010/09/25
    Tocchin

This thread can be marked as solved, thanks a lot for the assistance :)

Last edited: 2010/09/25
  15. 2010/09/26
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.

16. 2010/09/26
    Tocchin

Forgive me for disregarding the board FAQ.

Problem solved, repair install get rid of the problem.