1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Cant install Service Pack 2 Vista

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Glenys, 2013/12/19.

1. 2013/12/19
    Glenys

Glenys Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, I can find lot's of queries with installing SP2 but haven't been able to come up with the right answer for me. I guess my trouble started when my Trend Titanium was disabled, with the virus checker turned off (still is) and the malware/spyware were off but somehow I have that back on. I can't get into Trend, the little icon says "starting your protection" but it never actually starts.

Trend help says to check my updates are up to date. I have a free upgrade waiting to be done but before that I need SP2 installed. I've tried for hours to do this, it looks like it might be working then I get error 800F081F I have tried the standalone installer, that didn't work and the Hotfix for Windows KB 947821 installed but didn't fix the problem. I've tried turning off Windows Defender and Malware/Spyware but didn't help.

I've tried the Command Prompt sfc/scannow and it said "found corrupt files CBS.log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS\.log for example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I've read that I should delete this file and replace it with a good copy but I didn't get an installation disk. When I first bought my computer I copied everything onto disks as factory defaults but someone told me it would be hard to find what I need on there. Would that be right? I don't understand corrupt files and log problems but will have a go at following instructions.

I've spent soooo much time trying to sort this out and I don't like to ask for help until I'm desperate but I really need to get this sorted so any help will be greatly appreciated. Fingers crossed, my system specs will show up in the right place.
    Thank you

2. 2013/12/19
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Glenys, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

The first thing I would try is to install the System Update Readiness Tool.

After the tool has installed, perform a clean boot in Windows so that no other programs are running in the background, How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

After you perform a clean boot and have installed the System Update Readiness Tool then see if Service Pack 2 installs.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/12/20
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

5. 2013/12/21
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Just some information. .log files are only log recordings, they are not system files, but maybe if they are corrupted, the program that is trying to write it's logs may be having trouble.

Follow Admin's (Arie's) instructions, I would agree with him, you can report back here if you are still stuck afterwards.

6. 2013/12/30
    Glenys

Glenys Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I'm switching to Malware and Virus Removal to try the next step.