1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved can't install java

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by jsctolitz, 2008/11/09.

1. 2008/11/09
    jsctolitz

jsctolitz Inactive Thread Starter

hi there! I accidentally deleted the java on add and remove program, when I try to reinstall, a message always saying "the software has already install on your computer. would you like to re install it?" then when I click 'yes' another message popped up "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed." I dont know what to do, how can I completely uninstall the java so that I can reinstall it again. anybody have an Idea?

2. 2008/11/09
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Couple of questions ............

Do you see any entries for Java listed under Add or Remove Programs in the control panel? If yes, please list all that appear.

Do you see an Item labeled Java in the main window of your Control Panel?

If you can provide answers to these, some guidance will be forthcoming. If you want a quick fix (not necessarily the best approach) you can do a System Restore to a point in time before you removed Java as mentioned in your post. Please note- unlike many programs, when Java runtime is updated, both the new and the old versions remain on your computer. The older versions have to be manually uninstalled and because many of these updates are security related, the older versions of Java should be uninstalled to prevent potential malware access.

;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/10
    jsctolitz

thanks rockster2u, there's no java listed in my add and remove program, I used to reinstall and uninstall the program(java) but the same message appear, I'll try your advise(make a system restore) and let you know what the result.

5. 2008/11/12
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

You answered the first question but not the second one.
    ;)

6. 2008/11/23
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

I also cannot reinstall java. I did everything I could to remove java including shreading any java files I could find but I still get the message “This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?” But then when I try to install it I get the message “This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.” So, it seem to think the program is installed as well as uninstalled. And no I have nothing showing now in add and remove programs or in control panel for java. Any help would be appreciated ,as I have an online course I have to do, that requires Java.

TIA,
    Frank

7. 2008/11/23
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

Also I used the Windows Installer Clean-up utility to remove the Java 6 10 runtime from my add and remove programs. Also, I am using Windows XP Professional with Internet Explorer 7.

Frank

8. 2008/11/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Head over to this page and read the directions. Then select the offline installation download and save it. Once saved, close all windows and double click on the saved file to start an installation. I always elect not to install the Google toolbar, MSN toolbar or Open Office, any one of which could be offered to you during the installation. Please report back with results.

Good Luck.

;)

9. 2008/11/23
    jsctolitz

thanks rockster2u, system restore solved my problem with java, I install java again and was successful. again thank you!

10. 2008/11/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

jsctolitz,

Glad to hear that. Now, remember as you do future Java updates, go into your control Panel's Add or Remove Programs and uninstall older versions for best security practices. Some malware can use older (unpatched) Java versions as a back door.

;)

11. 2008/11/23
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

Hi Rockster2U

Thanks for your suggestion. I had already tried the Offline istallation but tried it again. It still didn't work. I believe the reason is that in my frustration in trying to remove Java from the Add and Remove programs in Control Panel, I shredded all of the Java Files I could find to try and make sure there wasn't any feed back to the Contoll panel. And I think the Offline installation requires files on the drive or files that have been deleted but are recoverable. That can't be done with the shredded files. I didn't anticipate anything like this. I thought if I got ride of everything, I'd be able to do a clean install, but somehow the computer remembers that Java has been installed before. So, it wants to do a recovery but can't because the files aren't there and can't be recovered. Is there any way to remove from memory the fact that Java 's been installed before, so I can do an install like a first time install?

TIA,
    Frank

12. 2008/11/23
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

Found an FRE Folder

I accidentally went into program files folder instead of my downloads to take another look around and found a JRE File folder created 11/22/2008 10:44 PM (EST). In it I found the file jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe. I clicked on it and it installed Java(TM)6Update7 not the Java 6u10runtime that I had. I tried updating it now that I had a running version of Java, but it still responds, "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?" and when I click on yes it responds "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. OK " So, it doesn't look Like I'll be able to upgrade until a newer version of Java is released, and I will probably still have trouble if it will not upgrade the version that is currently working and insists on upgrading Update 10. Meanwhile I tried using version 6u7 and with IE7 I get a red X in a Rectangular box but with Mozilla Firefox it is working properly. Is there anyway to make windows forget that version 6u10 was ever intalled, so I can update and does anyone know a cure for the red X?

TIA,
    Frank

13. 2008/11/23
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

Found the answer

I was on a Java forum and searched for an answer to the red x problem. And one of the people there had been advised to uninstall the program and reinstall it as a possible fix for the red X. The person there then had the same problem about being unable to uninstall completely jave6u7, and as a consequence couldn’t reinstall reinstall it. He was advised to use regedit to go into the registry and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > JavaSoft (Delete this folder)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > JavaSoft (Delete This Folder)

I varied this instruction a bit and only deleted anything with Java 1.6.0_10 in the name, as I didn't want to stop from working Java 1.6.0_7 as that was a working Java and I didn't want to risk loosing it as well. After doing that as described above, I tried to load the program again and I still had the same problem. So, I went back in to check if I got everything. But this time I went through everything in the registry and found other references to Java 1.6.0_10. So I deleted them all. Then I tried again to install the program and it installed successful. And Java 1.6.0_10 doesn't have the red X problem of Java 1.6.0_7 so that problem is solved as well.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help.

Regards,
    Frank

14. 2008/11/23
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Very nice piece of work there Frank and thanks for posting your results. Hopefully, jsctolitz shares the pleasure of your ingenuity and persistence. (we didn't mean to hijack the thread)

;)

15. 2008/11/23
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

When updating or just having problems with Java I use JavaRa to clean all remnants of Java then install the newest version.

Ken likes this.
  16. 2008/11/24
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Thanks Whiskeyman,

Looks like a great little utility.

;)

17. 2008/11/24
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

Re JavaRa

Hi Whiskeyman,

I forgot to mention earlier, that I had found JavaRa 1.11 and tried it. But, it didn't work in my case. Perhaps I did something wrong.

Regards,
    Frank

18. 2008/11/24
    Frank McLean

Frank McLean Inactive

Re JavaRa

Hi Whiskeyman,

I had forgot to mention earlier. I had found JavaRa 1.11 with google, downloaded it, and tried it, but it didn't work in my instance. Perhaps I did something wrong though.

Regards,
    Frank

19. 2012/02/14
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The last few versions of JAVA are different than they used to be. They will remove the older version when you update to the newer version.

20. 2012/02/23
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member

May I ask where I can download this tool. I am having trouble installing v 6 update 31.

21. 2012/02/23
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Alicia. Download JavaRa from here, JavaRA 2.0 Beta Download.