1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't get out without ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Chris, 2002/01/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/12
    Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have ZoneAlarm and decided to go for a wile without it. I deleted it the way it said in the readme flie (start, prigrams, delet...) everything went good, it was deleted after rebooting except one thing. I can't get on the internet or send/recive mail. I know what it was like with ZoneAlarm in the "locked" posistion. It acts the same way except I don't have ZA anymore. As expected, when I ran setup again and got back ZA, I can get on the web and send email. How can I unlock my connection with ZoneAlarm uninstalled? What's going on? Thank you, Chris.

2. 2002/01/12
    Chris

The arrow says this was moved. I don't see where it was moved to. Also, since when is not being able to use outlook express and Internet Explorer not supoised to be in the outlook express and internet explorer fourum?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/12
    Kevin Lifetime Subscription

Kevin Well-Known Member

I moved it as it seems to be more of a ZoneAlarm problem.
    At the bottom of this page there is a section called Installation, uninstallation, and re-installation instructions by Operating System. Have you tried those uninstall instructions? After completing that process, you might also do a "Repair" of Internet Explorer.

Sorry if this turns out to be an IE problem, but as I said it appears to be Zone Alarm.

5. 2002/01/12
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

6. 2002/01/13
    Chris

Not a big deal Kevin, your proable right.
    I may have left the desk band or didn't uncheck the box before I tried to uninstall. Thank you, I will try again in the next day or two. I will post back the results. Chris.

7. 2002/01/13
    Kevin Lifetime Subscription

Kevin Well-Known Member

Chris,
    The link WhitPhil provided and the "this page" link in my post are the same page. If you decide to use those intructions, please do let us know how it turns out.

8. 2002/01/13
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

The page that is provided by the links in this post points out the first and most important thing when un-installing ZA which is to make sure it is shutdown.

I did not read the full article as I have learned the hard way also. I have spent more hours making repairs after a bad install or un-install that I care to even think about.

When shutting down the program just using Cntrl-Alt-Del may not work properly. Msconfig, Startup Cop or something similiar should be used and Windows restarted.

By using Cntrl-Atl-Del the program may try to reload when windows is restarted if the un-install did not work properly.

I myself find a complete power off shutdown with a 30 second wait in restarting is best. This assures that RAM is clear.

I know this post refers to ZA but, the above also applies to Anti-Virus and Firewall Software. Or anything that has an Icon in the Systray. Windows will not ( or at least may not ) delete Open files.

This is an area where I really like Startup Cop as when something new is added it clearly shows what ( if anything ) has been added to the startup group. And also where it is being loaded from. And, also easy to check after the un-install to make sure it has been removed. I find it much easier to use than msconfig.

BillyBob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.