1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't get Computer to Boot from CD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chris, 2016/04/11.

1. 2016/04/11
    Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have an old computer I built, with super nice stuff back in the day. Been a real good computer over the years, but upgraded a couple years a go.
    Time to let it go and get it out of the way.

Since Win XP isn't supported, I was going to put Linux Mint on it.

For a decade, I've never had any problems booting from a live CD, or any other discs.

I go to run DBAN, I got a "Error Loading OS" and it would not boot.

I tried the Mint DVD, same error. I tried my Win XP CD, just to see if it might be the discs, it won't boot.

I read that a guy had a problem booting with the ROM Drive on a different channel (what ever you called it).

After days of work, I put from IDE 1, HD-Master with DVD-Slave. After a day, I found I forgot to make the DVD Slave with this setup (had 2 HD's on EDE 1, M-S, DVD on IDE 2 as Master before). I put the jumper to CS.

Still won't boot, get the same "error Loading OS."
    Yes, I do have BIOS set to boot from DVD.

For years, I've never had a problem booting from CD's or DVD's. Now, when I want to get rid of it, it won't boot.

Anything else I may not be thinking of that I can try?

Thank you,
    Chris.

2. 2016/04/11
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

A couple little specs of dust in the drive can cause this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/11
    Chris

I took the DVD Drive out and switched to "Slave" in stead of "Cable Select."

I had spent to much time on it, I was all bent over, my back was hurting, had a mess of wires behind the desk, lost one of the jumpers, I wasn't thinking and made sure the cables where in tight (while the computer was on).

I heard a pop and a flash of light, computer shut right off.

I'm guessing I blew it up, so looks like I solved that problem. I'll just throw it away.

Thank you for the reply,

Chris.

5. 2016/04/12
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The "pop" means this may be moot, but for future reference (if you ever run into EIDE drives again), you cannot mix cable select (CS) and Master/Slave (MS/SL) on the same cable.

So whether one or two devices on the same cable, if one is set to CS, the other must also be set to CS. The system will then figure out which is master and which is slave by the drive's position on the cable.

With just one drive, it must connect to the master connector whether using CS or MA.

If there are two drives and the first is set to MA, the other must be set to SL.

If the connectors are not labeled, it is easy to tell which connector is which. When looking at the cable, the master is always on the opposite end from the system/motherboard connector, and the slave is always offset from the center, set closer to the master end.

And with SATA drives, there are no master and slave settings because there is only one drive per cable.

Bill,
    ThomasJK likes this.
  6. 2016/04/13
    Chris

OK, I'm starting to remember. Thanks for this post. Wish I would of had this before I may of fried the computer. I really liked this one.

I'm certain that was the problem. All the old stuff started to come back to mind (Like COM Port Hell).

A reminder just how much things have changed.

Thank you,
    Chris.