1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't display desktop gadgets because UAC is turned off

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BurrWalnut, 2009/02/01.

1. 2009/02/01
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni Thread Starter

If you have UAC turned off but want to see the desktop gadgets, this registry key addition works:
    1. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings. Right-click in the right pane and click New > DWORD, name it AllowElevatedProcess and Modify its value to 1.

2. Now go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Desktop Gadgets and update as required.

If you're nervous about changing the registry, create a system restore point first.

2. 2009/02/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

hmmmm. I always turn off UAC and always turn on gadgets and haven't had any problems.....But I guess, if I do have a problem, I now know how to fix it;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/02/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

But are you talking about Windows 7?

Because thats where the problem arises. Since Gadgets are now located on the desktop, no longer on the Sidebar.

Arie,
  5. 2009/02/02
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Ooops My Bad. Thought I was in the Vista forum;)