1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't delete file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by floyd, 2003/08/15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/08/15
    floyd

floyd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

when I try to delete certain files I get an error message that says "Access denied. Make sure disk is not full or write protected, and that file is not in use. None of these apply. I also cut a folder of pictures from my desktop and pasted into 'my documents' and also get an error message there that says access is denied to that folder. I was able to view those jpgs before moving the folder.
    Thank you in advance.
    Floyd

2. 2003/08/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/08/15
    floyd

PeteC, thanks for your reply but I don't have a security tab when I right click on a file or folder as the instructions tell me to do. I am logged on as administrator as I am the only user on the PC. I'm using XP Home if that makes a difference. I think I've had this problem before but rebooting usually took care of it. Not this time though. I also have just completed reformatting my HD and reinstalling everything just last week. I have all the critical updates loaded also.
    Floyd

5. 2003/08/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Floyd,

Did you restart the computer in Safe Mode? - hit F8 on boot and select Safe Mode and log on as Administrator ? See the NOTE after How to Take Ownership of a Folder in that KB article.

6. 2003/08/16
    floyd

Solved

PeteC thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I missed the Safe Mode reference.
    Problem solved.
    Floyd

7. 2003/08/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Floyd - great :D

Thanks for posting back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.