1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't copy dvd's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lynn1102, 2016/04/28.

1. 2016/04/28
    lynn1102

lynn1102 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Using Win xp pro with all service packs and updates. Have used this system for a long time for video editing. I haven't added or removed anything in over a year.

A few days ago I got a call to copy a dvd that I had made. Popped the dvd in one player and a blank in the other, but it would not copy - drive not acessable. Properties on the disc read 0 space used and 0 space available. Both drive read the same. I can play dvd's and cd's on both drives. Blank disc reads good on another computer. Switched drives with the another computer and get the same results, and the drives from this computer work fine in the other computer. I can also burn an ISO file from the hard drive to dvd. Using Roxio 7 to try to make the copy, but it won't recognize either drive. I also tried copy and paste and drag and drop, but no good. I have Media Player and VLC. Any suggestions as to what I'm missing?

Lynn

2. 2016/04/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi lynn1102, I don't know what's on your DVD, but can you "Rip/copy" to disc using one ROM drive then Burn to your fresh DVD?
    If you have only 1 player on your comp - this is what you would have to do. I know it's not the complete answer to your problem but it will get things underway. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/28
    lynn1102

Thanks for trying Neil. I used a short 45 minutes dvd that I made and copied the files to my desktop. When I tried to copy back to a blank disc, I got a "not acessible" message, I won't recognize either drive with a disc in it. I also tried several brands of discs, even though they all check good on another machine.
    If I put either a recorded cd or dvd into either drive, it will read the files and it will play both.
    Still trying. Thanks again

Lynn

5. 2016/04/28
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

6. 2016/04/29
    lynn1102

Evan Omo. I ran the fix it program. I originally got a message that the drives could not burn dvd's. Then it finished running and told me all was fixed and is now OK. Well it isn't OK and still doesn't work.
    Since both units work in another computer, they should be ok. And both good drives from the other computer DO NOT WORK in this computer, the problem sure seems to be here somewhere. Time for dinner. Just to prove a point, I will buy 1 new unit tomorrow and see what happens. I might have to call in the experts. Thanks Even

7. 2016/04/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2016/04/30
    ephemarial

ephemarial Well-Known Member

You also need to check if the disk drives are operating in DMA and not PIO mode.
    Usually uninstalling a drive and then reinstalling it will set the DMA transfer mode– but not always.
    And any dirty or damaged CD/DVD can cause the setting to drop back to PIO.

To check:
    In device manager expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    You should have several Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel entries.
    Open up each one.
    Select the advanced tab.
    The current transfer mode (which will be grayed out) should say either Not Applicable or Ultra DMA Mode (4 or 5).
    If it says PIO – then that’s your problem.

To change simply select Transfer Mode and select: DMA if available.
    OK your way out – reboot and recheck.

9. 2016/05/03
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks Evan and Neil for the links. Having the same problem with an HP with Vista installed.

lj50,
  10. 2016/05/03
    lynn1102

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I still have the problem. I did the fix it thing, made the changes in the registry, checked the device manager, removed and re-installed all related software. Put both drives in a win10 computer and both work fine. Put the win 10 drives in the XP machine and they don't work. I took the weekend off. I'll give it another shot today and if it doesn't work, I may give it a real shot. I think the dealer that built it for me will get a visit. I will let you know if and when I get this thing working. It bugs the hell of me when I hit something like this. Thanks again.

Lynn

11. 2016/06/18
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Did you resolve this issue? - an update would be appreciated :)

12. 2016/06/18
    lynn1102

I actually forgot all about this. The problem has not been solved, but I am using my Win10 computer to finish projects. Not really efficient but it works for now. When I hit a dead or slow time, I will take it to the guy who built it for me.

I just now hung a note to remind me to let you know what they find. Thanks for all the help.

13. 2016/06/18
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update!