1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Vicki, 2010/08/20.

1. 2010/08/20
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just dug out my old computer (IBM Aptiva) with Windows 98 and am trying to get it connected to the internet. (Currently posting from my "newer" Windows XP computer).

It's been quite awhile since it has been used on-line, but I know it did work at one time!

I have it connected with a cable to my DSL router (I know the router works or I wouldn't be posting this!) And that computer was also once connected to that same router and worked fine.

However now when I try connecting to the internet, I received the DNS page. On the very botton I can see the message "res://C:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm" (without the quotes).

Does anyone know how I can fix this (if it can be fixed!) so I can access the internet again?

~Vicki~

2. 2010/08/25
    Vicki

Vicki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Simple fix

This was a relatively simple fix (but I feel stupid for not realizing it sooner). :eek:

In trying to diagnose the problem, I connected my cable to my old laptop (I KNEW that one could connect to the internet!) But strangely enough, I was receiving the same error message on that one and not connecting!!

So came to the conclusion that my cable must be bad! Sure enough, replaced the cable and all is well!

On to check for any other possible issues that old computer might have! :)

Happy computing!
    ~Vicki~

3. to hide this advert.