1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't connect to internet - remote computer did not respond

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by monk2706, 2005/03/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/28
    monk2706

monk2706 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have dial up internet and have just bought a new computer. When I tried to install my ISP (tesco) dialler on my new computer it installs fine, but when it dials to connect in order to ask for my password etc to finalize the installation I get a message every time saying 'the remote computer did not respond'. It dials OK and makes all the 'fax' noises but at the moment it should connect I get this message.

I then tried aol on my new computer but that doesn't even give the noises and after a few seconds of it attempting to dial it takes me back to a few steps earlier in the installation process.

I got the old computer back out and reinstalled tesco and it works fine. So why can't I get it to work on my new computer?

Any help would be very much apprieciated.

2. 2005/03/28
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi monk

the aol software is probably best left alone if you are not planning to use it - it has its own system :rolleyes: and tends to obliterate / usurp settings for other ISPs

==

from the sound of it (you are getting a squeak) you are pretty close

as it (tesco) is working on your old computer, there's the chance of copying the settings from that

look in Dial Up Networking, find the entry for tesco; right-click it and choose "Properties ", go to the "Server Types" tab hopefully something like this

oddly, you probably want "log on to network" disabled! Seems the case for dialup to most ISPs, and it curses you with a delay even if you can use it. I think that trying to "log on to network" might actually be chucking you out... or "use software compression" might be causing you the problems - but let's see what you read off your old machine

best wishes, HJ.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/28
    monk2706

thanks hugh,
    I can't seem to find 'dial up networking' I have found my connection and right clicked on it and chosen 'properties' but it doesn't give me the box you have provided in your link. The one I have shoes me a box with tabs for

general
    options
    networking
    security
    advanced

Not sure exactly where to look now, could you tell me please?
    Thanks

5. 2005/03/28
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi monk

what OS are you using pls? (should have asked that first off, shouldn't I ;) ) and what "route" did you take to find the options which you list? Which version of IE?

(W98) Dial Up Networking would be
    Start>Programs>Accessories>Communications>DUN

(maybe miss out the "Communcations" bit)

I suspect your modem settings are probably OK because of the way you are getting as close as you are

best wishes, HJ

Last edited: 2005/03/28
  6. 2005/03/28
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

A long shot here but it's worked for me in the past when I was on dialup and had the same type of problem (dont' remember the error message I got though). Try putting 3 commas after the phone number it dials to connect to your ISP. For example, if the number is 111-2222 change it to 111-2222,,, and then give it a try.

7. 2005/03/29
    monk2706

I can't get to my computer until later today but I am using windows xp home and I think it is internet explorer 6 that tesco installed when it installed extra features.

To get to the part I described I went to control panel then I think (I am on a windows 98 computer as I write this so can't check) clicked on network connections then right click on tesco connection and properties.

8. 2005/03/29
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi monk

the "software compression" option is found from the networking tab, there's a button marked "Settings" under "Type of dial-up server "

...afraid I'm grovelling to find "Log on to network" (or some equivalent), could do with an eXPert here (I'm a W98 bod)

==

to make sure: your older machine, the one that works OK with the tesco number... is that computer also running xp home? or if not pls let us know...

best wishes, HJ

9. 2005/03/29
    monk2706

OK thanks
    I have found software compression - should it be ticked or unticked? - it is ticked on the old computer which it works upon.

Both computers are running xp home.

10. 2005/03/29
    monk2706

I have just tried it ticked and unticked but am getting the same message.

Although, twice I got the message 'the number dialled is busy'

I have noticed that the noises from the modem turn 'one pitched' towards the end of trying to establish a connection (although I had an engaged sound when the number dialled was busy).

Anything else I can try?
    Thanks

11. 2005/03/29
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

keep software compression enabled if it's that way on the old computer which tesco worked on

that was the less likely of the two possibilities though, it was the "log on to network" which I was really after - things are in different places in XP

hang on a mo! - when you went back to your old computer, did you have to go through the
    bit? or did it just start working again? (start wondering whether the problem might have been a glitch at their end)(aol, you have to finalise it at a "master server "... but then aol are weird, I don't know whether tesco does anything like that - yet!)

if it's OK, pls let us know what country you are in and (if UK) which access number you are attempting to connect on?

best wishes, HJ

12. 2005/03/29
    monk2706

I am in the UK hugh.

I did have to finalize the installation as I put it on the old one which then worked. What I basically meant was that on my new computer it (the tesco disc) installed IE 6 and some other things. It then restarted my computer and said took me through an agreement. It then said that more than one modem had been found. I chose the creatix data fax modem the other 3 were all bluetooth modems. It then takes me to a connection screen (a different one to which I normally use for connecting to tesco) and it has all boxes which eithier get ticked green or with a red cross if they fail. The new computer fails on the first one which is connecting to the internet, while the old computer gets ticks for them all and it then said that your internet connection will be working within 15 minutes - which it was.

Just got a feeling (and as you can tell I don't know much about computers) that it is some sort of problem my end as tesco won't install and neithier will aol but they both will on my old computer.

Unsure if this is what you are asking but when I right click on my tesco internet connection (in cp>network connections>right click properties) and on the general tab the phone number for both my old and new computer for tesco is 00000000 but this works for the old one.

Thanks for your help so far.

13. 2005/03/29
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

ahhh, that seems to give the game away, doesn't it - looks like modem settings instead - was starting to think that way re-reading your post where you wrote
    'coz with the other PC workiong of course you know what it should sound like

I hate those sign-up CDs they "customise" your IE and even if you try "mend internet explorer" afterwards you can't get rid of it :mad: so nowadays (we use ntl) I ignore the CD and make the settings on an unsullied IE for myself

==

a note about the tesco access numbers - I presumed you were in UK 'coz tesco seems to be a UK firm; so I looked them up and found
    a) 0808 990 9002 (seems to be the "primary" access number)
    b) 0800 519 0900 (seems to be the "backup/reserve" access number)

checked them out w. Hyperterminal.
    a) busy signal several times, and didn't seem to work very well the time I did get through
    b) absolutely fine, got in to "NTH-CVX2-A VPOP 23 - Tesco Un-Metered login:" which is good.

==

aaargh. modem settings are going to be a different place to W98 (and they are in several places even with W98). Modem problems - well it makes sense of what you got from the aol attempt.

will have a look around, see what I can find out...

meanwhile if some kind eXPert drops in :p (please) - well at least we now have a clearer picture of what needs to be sorted out

creatix data fax modem, then...

- any type numbers or anything like that to nail it down better?

dials OK, and you can even get to a busy signal, so that's hunky dory - but won't squeak in a way the other end understands.

- has the (new) modem ever connected OK to anything - presumably "no" from what you write it's "out of the box "

- make sure no problem showing for it (Device Manager)

back later

best wishes, HJ

Last edited: 2005/03/29
  14. 2005/03/30
    monk2706

thanks hugh,
    Unsure what you mean by numbers to nail it down but it is v.92 if that helps?

When the tesco number dials it says something like dialling 0845534***580 for example at the bottom of the box with the checklist. (I just made that up but its something like that). It doesn't say dialling 00000000 - not sure if that is any help. (same thing happens with old computer)

The new modem has never connected to anything as like you say it is straight out of the box.

Have checked the modem and it says 'this device is working properly' and there are no conflicts.

thanks Hugh

15. 2005/03/30
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

Hi monk

have found some stuff at Microsoft but it's intended for XP pro, am hoping that it isn't too different for XP home

==

Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options, Modem Tab, select the creatix, click Properties > Diagnostics Tab...

Modem Information - with luck the full manufacturer's code for the beast (always helps)(I did find a few creatix devices but not v92 ones)

Append to log - uncheck this

==

now have a go trying tesco, try to get the remote 'computer did not respond' message

so hopefully we now have the log for *only* the session you have just done, with the error

==

so let's try to look at the log

same route to "diagnostics" as above, only this time do "View Log "; hopefully will open into Notepad or the like

save it someplace you can remember, just in case!

if it's not too enormous, post it to BBS (might be a clue there)

if the log's too big or you can't post it to BBS for some reason let us know - will work out something else

==

check out this page at Microsoft, go down to table 22.8

the ones that look interesting are Data Protocol and (particularly) Compression

have a look at the old machine's settings for these; compare with the new machine

and whatever the setting on the old machine, it's probably worth trying the new machine with the hardware compression off

best wishes, HJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.