1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Can't connect to a network printer plugged into a print server]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ackerberg, 2010/12/23.

1. 2010/12/23
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive Thread Starter

I purchased a new laptop with WIN 7 and can not connect to a network printer which is plugged into a print server. I have successfully done this with 3 other laptops running WIN XP knowing the IP addressess, etc. does not seem to do any good.
    When I search for the printer I find nothing although another network printer plugged into the router is seen.
    Is there something in WIN 7 which is causing me a problem?
    I once wrote a long note on doing this for someone else on this website but I can not find what I wrote.
    I have been setting it up as TCP/IP with the address of the print server, but after many hours I have not had any success.
    Thanks.

2. 2010/12/26
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Disable your firewall, if it then works you will have to change some settings in the printer and file sharing section of the firewall.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/12/26
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive Thread Starter

I got it to work by using the drivers suggested by hp which is not the driver for my printer.

5. 2010/12/26
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Thanks for the update.