1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can't clean install Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JAK, 2016/07/06.

1. 2016/07/06
    JAK

JAK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have Win 7 home premium Gateway laptop, 64 bit, that I upgraded to Win 10. I thought it would give me an option to do a clean install as it upgraded but it didn't. So after upgrade I made a recovery disk and went to do a clean install reset. I got the error 0xc0000034. I changed the boot order and booted from dvd recovery disk into advanced troubleshoot options and tried the reset.

Reset says at first it couldn't reset and then after another try that a required drive partition is missing.
    Tried checkdisk from the command prompt with chkdsk/f C: and it said no errors reported.
    Tried startup repair several times and it says it couldn't repair.
    Tried the system restore and it says your pc needs to be repaired. Unexpected error occurred. Error code 0xc0000034.

Last edited: 2016/07/06
    JAK,
  2. 2016/07/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/07
    JAK

This is the meat of that forum help. Might need some clarification on a couple of points before heading into it.
    1) "If you want to remove drive letter, use remove command." How would I know?

2) What is this section telling me to do?
    # this is not necessary.
    ren BCD BCD.bak
    # To write a new bootsector on your system partition.
    bootrec /fixboot

3) Not sure about this section either....

# To create BCD store. "/f ALL" is to update BIOS setting including UEFI firmware/NVRAM.
    # Replace "ja-JP" with your language or remove "/l" option if you use English, of course.
    # It might be sense only typing "bcdboot c:\Windows ".
    bcdboot c:\Windows /l ja-JP /s b: /f ALL

a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen
    appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ". Press any key.
    b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
    d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
    e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
    f) Click on Command Prompt.
    g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:
    "#" is an instruction comment so not to type it ;-)

# to execute diskpart program
    diskpart
    DISKPART> list disk
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    DISKPART> list volume
    # find your system partition with fat32 file system. Here to assume it as volume 2.
    DISKPART> select volume 2
    # To assign drive letter.
    # If you want to remove drive letter, use remove command.
    DISKPART> assign letter=b:
    # To terminate diskpart command.
    DISKPART> exit

# Now, you sould move to b:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\, as windows stores BCD in this folder.
    cd /d b:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    # this is not necessary.
    ren BCD BCD.bak
    # To write a new bootsector on your system partition.
    bootrec /fixboot
    # If your windows running, you should do from here.
    # To create BCD store. "/f ALL" is to update BIOS setting including UEFI firmware/NVRAM.
    # Replace "ja-JP" with your language or remove "/l" option if you use English, of course.
    # It might be sense only typing "bcdboot c:\Windows ".
    bcdboot c:\Windows /l ja-JP /s b: /f ALL

JAK,
  5. 2016/07/07
    retiredlearner

6. 2016/07/07
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

7. 2016/07/08
    JAK

That's what I started to do and got to this stage in the mess, if you'll review my first paragraph. As of this morning I can't even get into the troubleshooting window booting from the Recovery dvd. It acts like it wants to load and then quits and goes to the blue screen with the "you must do a recovery....Unexpected error occurred. Error code 0xc0000034. I can f2 to Bios but that's all right now.

JAK,
  8. 2016/07/08
    Evan Omo

If you boot from your Windows 10 DVD/USB and attempt to perform a clean install, what step during the clean install does the computer return the Error code 0xc0000034? Are you able to choose Custom install and install Windows 10 on a single partition?

On step #12 in the link that I posted, your partitions should like this screenshot.

9. 2016/07/09
    JAK

I was attempting to boot with the wrong disk! Now I'll see how far I can get with the correct Recovery disk.

JAK,
  10. 2016/07/09
    JAK

Thanks. It says, in the steps on the site you reference, to disable Secure and Fast Boot first. My settings, after entering F2 on boot, only show Quiet and Network Boot, f12 Boot Menu, D2D Recovery and SATA Mode. If I boot using the Recovery disk I get to Advanced Options but there's no UEFI Firmware Setting folder. I only show Sys Restore, Sys Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt and Go back to previous build. As I mentioned earlier I have tried all of those with no luck.

I had changed boot order to dvd, usb and hdd. I've been using the dvd Recovery disk...is it better to use usb?

Last edited: 2016/07/09
    JAK,
  11. 2016/07/09
    JAK

While waiting I entered bootrec/RebuildBcd as suggested above, when I got the Command Prompt at Advanced. It showed I had one installation of Windows, so I entered Yes to adding the installation to the boot list.

I restarted and now when I clicked on Reset Computer with a clean install it went into Win 10 Home and began, instead of saying it couldn't repair, like previously. It's currently at 7% of reset...unfortunately it ended at 72% and said it couldn't repair. Just got to 98% and it couldn't finish!

JAK,
  12. 2016/07/09
    Evan Omo

Lets try this method. Download Windows 10 and use the tool to create either a bootable USB drive or a Windows 10 DVD. Once you have created a Windows 10 DVD/USB bootable media, boot the computer using your newly created DVD/USB drive and perform a clean install.

13. 2016/07/09
    JAK

I think that's the disk I've been using but I'm doing a new one off of my Win 7 now and I'll try the clean install with that one.....

I've tried booting with that new iso disk 5 times and each time the screen goes right to the "Recovery; pc needs to be repaired; error code 0xc0000034. "

I just put the old Recovery -iso- disk in that I created on that laptop while Win 10 was working on it and it seems to be booting. It went to the "click on any key to continue ". I entered English and now I'm back to the Troubleshoot page. I've tried reset multiple times and other Advanced options from here, too. What next?

JAK,
  14. 2016/07/09
    Evan Omo

You shouldn't have to go through the Advanced Options area. You should be able to just boot from your DVD and go to install a new copy of Windows and follow the steps in the link that I posted for performing a clean install. The point is, a clean install doesn't involve trying to repair or recover your botched existing installation.

15. 2016/07/09
    JAK

When booting from the disk it doesn't go to the screens you showed initiating Windows with choosing a Win 10 version and the language, etc. It boots right to that error 0xc0000034 page.

I would need to get a flashdrive if you think that might be more successful than the dvd.

JAK,
  16. 2016/07/09
    retiredlearner

Evan, is there a possibility that boot is effected by UEFI/Legacy BIOS? Neil.

17. 2016/07/09
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

The win 10 iso download is better cleaner install. It sounds corrupt so re-downlowd I would.

18. 2016/07/09
    JAK

Will do. When I ran the media creation tool it made the iso that I burned to dvd. Do I need to download the tool again or just run it again and get another iso to burn?

Neil mentioned the UEFI/BIOS. I don't really follow this, but I see that I can go to F2 when booting and go into the BIOS right? But when I do boot up to Troubleshooting page that is part of the UEFI format?? Are the two fighting each other or am I confused here?

JAK,
  19. 2016/07/09
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There are many Gateway Laptops What Model, Series, and Version is it.

20. 2016/07/09
    retiredlearner

I don't want to confuse the issue, but another member had a problem with the upgrade from W7 and he set the BIOS to Legacy and it all went sweetly. As LJ has requested - more info on your laptop will help to narrow down the diagnosis.

21. 2016/07/09
    Evan Omo

Its possible so in the UEFI/BIOS settings, you should make sure that the CD/DVD is the first boot device.

Just start with downloading the tool and burn a new ISO to a DVD from scratch.

Yes, so you should go into your UEFI/BIOS settings and set your DVD as the first boot device if you haven't already done so.

No, it just depends on what device is set to boot first.