1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Can't change desktop background - "Apply" button grayed out]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by voltigeur, 2011/10/30.

1. 2011/10/30
    voltigeur

voltigeur Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am trying to change the picture on the desk top in Windows XP home.
    the picture is in the drop down list in the display function and it shows in the pre view. However, the apply button is grayed out and nothing changes when I click on OK.
    I have looked at older posts and used the search function, but I have not come across a similiar problem.

2. 2011/10/30
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Is this the only picture that's giving you the problem or you can't select any of them ?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/10/31
    voltigeur

I have not tried to change the back ground with the pre-installed ones, but they show up in the pre view and the apply button is not grayed out. Right now I am away from that computer, I will be back tomorrow. Thanks for replying so quick.

5. 2011/11/01
    voltigeur

The pre installed desk top wall papers do not work either. I tried to follow the steps I found on http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-change-desktop-wallpaper.html, but I am not experienced enough to fiddle with the registry. On another note how do you back up the registry and use it if something goes awry?

6. 2011/11/01
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

voltigeur likes this.
  7. 2011/11/01
    voltigeur

Thanks, I should have searched first before posing the question.

8. 2011/11/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Once you have learned to backup registry and have done so, this site will help with registry editing.
    Try downloading and running the reg file on this page. Line 142, right side.
    Allow Wallpaper/Background Changes
    Save it to your hard drive and double click on it to run it.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Kellys Korner is well known and recommended here often for xp problems. Check out other links to reg patches. It's been a while since even I have read through these.

Also malware maybe a factor and you'll have to eliminate this as a possibility.

9. 2011/11/03
    voltigeur

Thank you, I shall follow the recommended steps and report back when I have succeeded in doing these steps.

10. 2011/11/04
    voltigeur

Inserting the registry key located on Kelly's Korner web site did not work. This is my sister's computer and before I did any work I ran the malwarebyte scan and the Superantispyware scan. The Malwarebyte scan revealed about 120 issues and the Superantispyware scan about 80 issues. She had someone else working on it some time ago thus I do not know if the problem stems from that time.The computer is a HP
    a1209n, 3.06 GHZ 1 MB RAM OS Windows XP home

11. 2011/11/04
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Recommend reading this post, then posting the requested log(s) in our Malware and Virus Removal forum.

If you are still having the same problem after being given a clean bill of health from one of our malware experts, then please return to this thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

12. 2011/11/04
    voltigeur

I found the reason for the gray out.

I was trying to help my sister via logmein.com After a few miss communications She told me that she had the picture already as back ground, but I could not see it from my computer. After she told me this, I went on another computer in our home and made contact with my computer and discovered that my background was black, whereas I had a picture of a bright red sunset.
    Thank you all for the replies.

13. 2011/11/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

But this doesn't mean its the end of it.

A visit to Malware & Virus Removal forum is highly recommended, but its your call.

14. 2011/11/04
    voltigeur

Believe it or not

Before I started to help her, I installed the Malwarebytes. the Superantispyware and S & D spy-bot and ran all the scans first. For some reason she had a problem with her e mail and the Tech from Verizon told her to have all the programs taken off because their McAfee security system would take care of all problems. See part of the e mail below. :mad:

----- Original Message -----
    To: joop@shaw.ca
    Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 6:58 PM
    Subject: remove all security system....as per Verizon personnel....please. right away..is causing machine not to be able to send or receive. I have Verizon on line.

15. 2011/11/04
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I bet McAfee was installed as per plan of Verizon.

Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware & Spybot don't have to be run all the times. Just scan with them once a week.

But now that she is infected, I would prefer to get the computer cleaned.

16. 2011/11/04
    voltigeur

Yes, I explained that to her because I do those scans once a week. However, since I have very limited skills with computers, she believes the Tech from Verizon, thus I did as requested and now I wash my hands from it.