1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Cannot start up -- I get BSOD "system_license_violation"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Daanii, 2018/03/31.

1. 2018/03/31
    Daanii

Daanii Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 on my laptop. I may have gotten a malware infection, but while I was running Malwarebytes to check it out the computer suddenly shut itself off. When I tried to reboot I got a Blue Screen of Death which says "SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION". I can't get past that point.

I pressed F8 and got various repair options, including looking for a restore point, but no restore point was found. Trying to boot in Safe Mode doesn't get past that point either.

I can still see everything on the hard drive by using Linux on a USB flash drive. I do see there are some Wondershare files on the drive that I think might be the malware.

Any thoughts?

2. 2018/04/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/04/01
    Daanii

Retired Learner, thanks for your reply.

No, I had installed a version of Dr.Fone that is put out by Wondershare. But the problem appears to be similar in both cases.

That thread does seem to be the same problem as I am seeing. I can choose to use "last know good session", but it does not help. I have looked at this webpage and it seems like the BSOD I get is due to this cause: "The SetupType or SetupInProgress value from the setup key is missing, so setup mode could not be detected." So I tried to load the defaults for Setup in the BIOS but that didn't help.

5. 2018/04/01
    retiredlearner

Can you set a chkdsk to run?

6. 2018/04/02
    Daanii

I have run chkdsk and it found no problems.

7. 2018/04/02
    retiredlearner

Have you been through all the suggestions under Troubleshoot BSOD in the link you Posted in #3?

8. 2018/04/03
    Daanii

Yes, I've tried those. Most are not applicable, since I can't get into Safe Mode or any farther than the very first Windows screen. I did try system repair, and looked for a restore point (it says I have none saved) or a last known good session (that didn't work either).

The hardware seems fine, since Chkdsk worked and I can use the laptop with Linux. It looks like the virus (or possibly a Windows update that terminated midstream) wiped out the Setup key and I can't find a way to repair that. Sounds like a registry task and I don't know much about that, nor can I find anything online.

The laptop is old and needs to be replaced anyway. But I would like to get it up and running so I can access some of the programs and make sure I get them all on a new laptop. Plus I'm torn on what new laptop to buy. I like the old one but there don't seem to be comparable replacements on the market. I guess it is like jeans -- what happened to all the old style Levi's that I used to buy?

9. 2018/04/03
    retiredlearner

If you replace your laptop, just clone the old HDD and transfer to your new drive.
    New laptops are available with SSD's which are a lot quicker than a spinning drive.
    I've changed all my drives over to SSD's. ;)

10. 2018/04/09
    Daanii

I was able to fix my laptop by running a Lazesoft Registry Recovery tool on a bootable USB flash drive. It took about 1 second. I suspect the Setup key in the registry was corrupted by the virus.

As you suggest, I will be buying a new laptop with an SSD. Meanwhile it is nice to have the old laptop running again. That will make the transition easier.