1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Cannot send files to CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wthrman, 2005/06/02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/02
    wthrman

wthrman Inactive Thread Starter

I am unable to send a file to a CD (wherer you right click the file's properties in Windows Explorer). There are no connection problems, I think a setting has changed somewhere, or one of the Windows Services has gone 'off the air'. There is no Recording tab in the properties box for the CD drive.

How can I get this back again?

Thanks

2. 2005/06/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

wthrman - Welcome to the Board :)

Start here .... Windows XP CD Burning Secrets

Post back and let us know if anything worked for you - if not we'll delve deeper :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/02
    wthrman

Thanks Peter,

I did 2 things, checked the registry entries (all OK) and reinstalled the hardware (uninstalling the driver first).

I didn't check compatibility because everything used to work before.

There is still no Recording tab in the Properties box.

The same thing applies to the DVD drive. There seems to be a common setting in Windows that's gone missing.

5. 2005/06/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Check out this thread .....

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=28684

As part of that go ....

Right click My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services. Scroll down to IMAPI CD-Burning COM service and double click on it. Default startup type is Manual - try Automatic.

BTW - have you installed any other burning software?

6. 2005/06/03
    wthrman

The IMAPI service was one of the first things I checked before. It's set to automatic but I just noticed it wasn't started. I started it but I am still unable to copy to the CD.

I have Nero CD Burning Rom installed. It has never caused a problem before but I used it a few weeks ago to copy MP3 files to a blank CD-R ...possibly it changed something? Should I uninstall it to see what happens?

Thanks

7. 2005/06/03
    wthrman

Further to this, the Nero software is burning to the CD without any problems.

8. 2005/06/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

This is an interesting conundrum - I am away at the moment using the laptop ....

This has Nero installed AND a Recording tab on the Properties page for the CD-RW, but no Send to CD - which is exactly what I would expect as the 'Enable Recording on this Drive' - or similar wording, is not checked.

However on my destop which I checked out before leaving home I also have Nero installed, but NO Recording tab on either the CD-RW or the DVD-RW and no Send to CD.

At present I cannot explain the difference between the behaviour of the two computers - both are running XP SP2 fully patched to date - there is a Himat patch I have not applied as I do not use the native burning software in XP.

If you uninstall Nero the odds are that the Recording tab will return and maybe Send to with equal odds that if you reinstall Nero they will disappear :)

BTW using Nero 5.5 on both PC's.

I really don't know where to suggest you look next.

9. 2005/06/05
    wthrman

Thanks PeteC, I removed Nero and it made no difference so I reinstalled it.

This is one of these things that sort themselves out as mysteriously as they happened..I will just wait and see if something reinstates the missing option. Nero is burning to CD so it will do for now....

10. 2005/06/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

if you do find an answer - please share it :)

11. 2005/06/05
    wthrman

I most certainly will. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.