1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Cannot mount Seagate to Router

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by warpy55, 2014/07/06.

1. 2014/07/06
    warpy55

warpy55 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Seagate 2TB external hard drive that is formatted to NTFS and I wish to plug that into my Asus DSL-N55U routers USB port.

On the Network Map on the router it shows the Seagate Expansion Desk, but describes it as unmounted.

I can view the contents of the external hard drive by plugging it into the USB port on my computer and everything shows as it should.
    I can plug the same drive into my Samsung TV USB port and it also shows the drive contents.
    So I know the content is there and the drive contents are intact.

However as I wish to access the external drive from my router I have to figure out how I mount the drive.

I have a Windows 7 Home OP system and I have wired my system up using the Ethernet ports not wifi.

I have downloaded the latest firmware for the router but don't seem to be able to mount the drive. Any help most appreciated.

2. 2014/07/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/07
    warpy55

Hi Neil, The link does not tell me how to mount the drive once I read the ones that I think should solve the problem. None exactly relate to the issue I have.

The owners manual shows me how to remove a USB device but not what to do if it doesn't mount. So I am still stuck.

5. 2014/07/07
    retiredlearner

Have you posted a question in the Asus Forum or have you contacted Asus?
    If you connect to the Router with your USB and you put 196.168.1.1 in the address bar of your comp, can you see the USB connection at all? Neil.

6. 2014/07/07
    warpy55

Hi Neil, I haven't posted into the Asus Forum I started and there was a whole lot of info they require that I didn't have with me. I type 192.168.1.1 in the browser and it takes me to the router GUI. I look at network map and that shows the Seagate Expansion Desk as un-mounted in the router. That is where I am stuck.

7. 2014/07/07
    retiredlearner

8. 2014/07/08
    warpy55

Hi Neil, I found the Upnp and that it was already enabled. I disabled it and enabled it and the drive still shows as unmounted.

9. 2014/07/08
    retiredlearner

Have you tried a smaller capacity HDD? When I read the Asus Forum Posts I got the impression that the problem was associated with large capacity HDD's. Neil.

10. 2014/07/10
    warpy55

Hi Neil, no I haven't tried I smaller drive, I don't have one. It should work OK with a 2TB drive. So still no luck...

11. 2014/07/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Is your routers firmware up to date? Also ASUS suggests "For more stable using, please use external power supply for USB-HDD ".

Just for fun I plugged my 2TB WD Passport drive in my ASUS RT-N66U.

At first it showed as unmounted, but when I clicked on the link to scan for the drive again it was recognized & mounted.

Attached Files:

12. 2014/07/10
    warpy55

Hi Arie, Yes I have downloaded latest firmware as per suggested by ASUS. Restored and reset router. The Seagate has an external power source. It still shows as unmounted and I rescaned and drive still did not get mounted.

13. 2014/07/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Unfortunately I have nothing else to add...

14. 2014/07/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Did you do this? (from the manual)

IMPORTANT! You first need to create a user account to
    allow other network clients to access the USB device.

15. 2014/08/17
    JuusoW

JuusoW Inactive

to: warpy55,

I hope you already have your problematic drive in action.

I also struggled in this USB HDD unmounted problem, but with a WD-2TB disk and an Asus dsl-n55u router.

In my case I am not sure if the router has a role at all in this problem, since originally the NTFS formatted USB HDD worked perfectly with it.

Anyway, I include my detailed solution to document it for the case if the problem returns some day.

-The problem started when I for fast copying of some movie files detached the drive from the router and attached it to a Win-7 pc together with another USB HDD. I do not remember if I unmounted the later problematic HDD correctly according to router instructions.
    -Anyway, after the file copying in the Win-7 machine, the disk refused to mount back on the router or to a linux pc running on Ubuntu 14.04. It was identified correctly in all systems, but mounting correctly only to Win-7.
    -Instructions to run CHKDSK or to degfragment the drive in Win-7 were a waste of time. They took several hours, but at least now the drive is in optimal condition. Also the other instructions on the Asus vip forum were useless. (Possibly the router had no role in my case).
    -Finally, I came across with the GPT disk repair program: 'gdisk'. It made the the repair. I have it on an Ubuntu 14.04 pc system. (Run terminal command: sudo gdisk /dev/sdc. Before that the problematic drive had been identified to be 'sdc' by running: 'sudo fdisk -l' ).
    -The running of 'gdisk' is possible also without any linux installations on pc's, where only Windows is available. One can use a bootable emergency linux DVD. See: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
    -With the 'gdisk', as it recommended, I used the expert option -x, and as it recommended continued with option: -e and finally with option -w, which writeted the modifications to the disk. This was the most frightening step, but made no damage to the existing files on my HDD.
    -Immediately after this step the drive was auto-mounted on the linux pc, and now also works perfectly with the router.

JuusoW