1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Cannot link to installed popmail application

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rikki, 2015/07/17.

1. 2015/07/17
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a problem with Windows 8.1 that I don’t understand. I have installed Opera Mail as a desktop popmail client. This is the program I want to use and it works fine for sending and receiving email, but I cannot get Windows to recognize it as a default program. It does not appear in the list of default programs under Control Panel and I cannot associate it with the mailto protocol which is what I really want to do. At present, if I click on a mailto: link, it opens the mail app in the metro interface, which I do not want, and tries to create a mail account, which I also do not want. If I try to associate the mailto protocol with anything else, I am only presented with a choice of my browser (which doesn’t do anything) or the app store, which is not what I want.

I would like to get the mailto link to open the compose message tab in Opera Mail. If this is not possible, I would like to understand how it works and how it is supposed to be used. Why are the choices presented to me so limited? How can new programs be added to the association list? In earlier versions of Windows this could be done manually. In 8.1 the options seem to be very restricted. I am not afraid to hack the registry to get it to do what I want, but first I need to know how it works.

2. 2015/07/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rikki, Have you tried > Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > is it shown? Neil.

Last edited: 2015/07/17

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/17
    rikki

Hi Neil,

Yes, it shows as correctly installed. However, it is not in Program Files, but under the apps folder of my user name. Windows 8.1 seems to do this with a few programs. Don't know what the significance is.

5. 2015/07/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I just had a look at the Opera Download site and I get the impression that you must enable Opera as your Default Browser for the Mail client to operate fully.
    Have you set Opera as your Default Browser? Neil.

6. 2015/07/18
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Change Program >>> bottom of popup windows >>> look for more apps on this pc >>> find & select Opera Mail in its program directory

7. 2015/07/18
    rikki

Yes, it is set as default.

Edit: I misread your question. Opera browser is not installed. Opera Mail is a standalone program and it is set as default email client.

Last edited: 2015/07/18
  8. 2015/07/18
    rikki

Thanks. This is exactly what I want to do. However, I never see any option to 'look for more apps on this pc'. When I click change program, all I get is a window with the two choices to use my browser or go to the app store. I just checked again and nothing else shows up on the screen. How can I get this to appear?

9. 2015/07/19
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well on my windows 8 it's:

Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program > select MAILTO protocol (bottom of list) > Change program... button > browse for program of choice.

However, the option to browse will not be present IF MAILTO is already associated witrh a program. Thus, you must first go to:
    Control Panel > Default programs > Set your default programs > select the program already associated with MAILTO > Choose defaults for this program > uncheck MAILTO (if allowed).

If no joy you must edit the registry manually or follow this guide to create and merge some settings into the registry:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/operabrowser/wiki/m2tips/default_programs

rikki likes this.
  10. 2015/07/19
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Before you make changes to you registry: 1. BACKUP THE REGISTRY.

lj50,
  11. 2015/07/19
    rikki

OK thanks for the info. I will give this a try and report back.

12. 2015/07/19
    rikki

Worked like a charm. Thank you sooo much!

13. 2015/07/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for letting us know it worked. Please tell us which solution was used so others can benefit in the future.

14. 2015/07/20
    rikki

I followed the link you provided above to Reddit.com and then followed the instructions there. This involved copying some added Registry data into a file and merging it into the Registry. I was also instructed to reinstall Opera Mail under Program Files instead of its default. After doing all this Opera Mail appeared as it should in Default Programs and I was able to associate the Mailto protocol to it. Everything now works as it should.

15. 2015/07/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Thanks!