1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Cannot connect the phone book... error 756.

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Soloist, 2013/01/26.

1. 2013/01/26
    Soloist

Soloist Well-Known Member Thread Starter

XP Professional, Media Center Edition.
    Every time I boot my pc I get this message: 'Cannot connect the phone book entry, Error 756: This connection is already being dialled'. This has been happening for the last month and I cannot relate the start to anything I have done. The error message is on top of the dial-up window. It is easy to close both of them and there is no further issue, but I would like to find out what is causing it and stop it. I do not have a phone book. Does anyone know what is causing this?
    Thanks, Soloist.

2. 2013/01/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Click START-> Run and type->MSCONFIG
    Look in the startup tab for any reference to the phonebook and uncheck it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/27
    Soloist

Steve, I have only 7 items ticked in msconfig, I know them all, none are a phone book.
    Thanks anyway.
    Soloist.

5. 2013/01/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2013/01/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Moved to Networking, etc forum.

7. 2013/01/27
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try using Windows' "System Restore" to roll Windows back to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly?

System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

8. 2013/01/28
    Soloist

PeteC, thanks for your reply, I followed your suggestion but had already tried all of those possible causes, without success.

9. 2013/01/28
    Soloist

SpywareDr, thanks for your reply. My System Restore is unreliable and does not work most of the time. It has worked on the same day a couple of times when I was testing it but does not work on restoring from weeks or months ago. I have learned to do without it because I have no idea why it doesn't work, that's a separate issue.