1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Cannot access server files after reboot/updates.

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by JoesMorgue, 2014/07/29.

1. 2014/07/29
    JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Inactive Thread Starter

I went away for the weekend.

Before we left, I powered down my server [Win 2003 Ent SP2 x32. 2.2Ghz Dual Core, 8 Gigs.] of which it installed updates, and my main desktop [Win 8.1 x64/7 x64 dual boot. 3.6Ghz 8-Core, 16 Gigs.]

Came home, powered up, waited for the server to finish with updates, then powered up the 8-Core. [User names on the server match the automated login names on both the 8-core, and the main laptop in the house.] It asked for the password, and it wouldn't connect.

I've tried multiple user names, including the Administrator account. Manually resetting the password on the server. Going through and checking the settings, and disabling the firewall.

I did notice when I logged into the server locally, NONE of the drives showed the drives as shared [Entire drives are shared here, not simply folders]

Now, I'm mostly accessing the server through TeamViewer, of which the computer seems to run well, CPU load is not hitting 100%, but spends most of the time over 50%, with moments as low as 9%.

I tried to give all the details I remember [I have holes in my memory] but I doubt I shared them all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. [No, I won't tell you the passwords! :p]

2. 2014/07/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I would start by looking at Network connectivity. If that's not the problem I'd examine the Event Logs to see if I could find a clue there.

Arie,
    JoesMorgue likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/30
    JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Inactive Thread Starter

Network connectivity is not an issue. I've connected [yesterday, or was it Monday] to my 8-Core from the server, and moved files TO the server. I tried moving a file from the server to the 8-Core's HD, and I got an error [that I cannot remember.] All computers on the network [wired, and wireless] have had internet access since powering up equipment.

I just checked the logs. Closed the logs, tried to connect. Checked the logs again. The newest log event was dated 3 days ago...

No. That got me thinking. Looked at the clock on the taskbar. It was off by 14 hours. Date was off by 3 days! Fixed the time, problem solved!

Bad battery?

5. 2014/07/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Oh, yea, if the day/time are off you'll experience all kind of weird problems.

Likely the battery on the mainboard is to blame. You can test by powering down, switch off from mains and leave it off for a night. See what things look like in the morning.

Arie,