1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Cannot access Device Manager- window opens, then closes [HJT log]

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by taylor33ld, 2006/11/21.

1. 2006/11/21
    taylor33ld

taylor33ld Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,

I am currently using this illegal version of Windows XP Pro (as mentioned in an above thread- my legit XP Pro should be here tomorrow FedEx tells me).

I just purchased a new 256MB Radeon video card and the installation calls for me to access Device Manager. When I open it from the Control Panel, or run Devmgmt.msc, the window will open, then immediately close on me. I can keep doing this, I can just see the Device Manager window, and then it closes- killer tease, especially because I want to test out this new toy.

Is there any way I can fix this so I can use my new video card tonight, and not wait to reinstall my legit XP Pro when it arrives in a day or so?

Thank you!
    Taylor

2. 2006/11/21
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Use the Doug Knox fix as a first attempt: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

Then apply the .EXE fixes that MS_MVP Ramesh discusses: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

This is a malware related issue. I hope you get the new CD so you can follow the steps I have outlined previously. This one would be removed by the steps I provided.

And I ask a favor of you: you should have asked this question in your original thread. Other than feeling some sympathy for your plight, I normally would not have responded to this request at all because you started a second thread. It is an important courtesy.

Best wishes.
    Bill

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/21
    taylor33ld

Bill,

Again-- thank you for your quick and detailed response. I do apologize for the second thread. Most forums I'm on, each individual topic gets its own thread. For future reference I will keep my threads to one (especially when related to one major issues, eg;the illegal XP issue).

I tried both steps to allow Device Manager to remain opened when I try to disable the onboard video card. But it will still only remain open after I double click it or us the Run command, for just about half a second, then close immediately without an error message.

Thank you for your time,
    Taylor

5. 2006/11/21
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

It is a malware issue.

Wait till you sort the other issues, and Device Manager should work find from that point.

6. 2006/11/21
    taylor33ld

One more thought related to this issue while I await my XP Pro CD...

Is there any way I can remove the illegal key for XP Pro so I can still use it for 30 days before activation. It could be that XP Pro will just need the reinstall/repair, with the link you provided, but maybe it's the illegal key somehow closing all of the important windows I try to open in XP... Device Manager, Manage, etc.

Just a thought? Itching to get this Radeon working...

Thanks again,
    Taylor

7. 2006/11/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

No, it is not. It's malware doing its 'thing'.

Arie,
  8. 2006/11/22
    taylor33ld

Hm, well--- I just reinstalled Windows XP Pro legally today.... Device Manager, and Manage (Disks) both still don't stay open. They will temporarily open, then quickly close without error message - more like a program is telling them to close. My AdAware full-scan shows I have an "XPKeyFinder" that is impossible to remove via AdAware ( "Unable to remove ").
    Should I just delete the EXE file it is in, if I can?

I'm simply trying to install my new Radeon Video Card and need to access Device Manager to turn off my on-board video card, but can't since it keeps shutting down. The leftovers from the illegal XP seem to be the problem.
    Occasionally my McAfee pops up asking if something "----Key" can be run... it's too quick for me to read before it quickly closes the window (like Device Manager, etc) with the "Allow" setting clicked.
    Last time I restarted XP, I was quickly able to click "stop script" or "stop program" (couldn't tell - it was much too fast, I barely got the click off) and then I was able to access Device Manager, Disk Manager, etc, since this action was Blocked.

How can I destroy this script or program that I can't even discover, when I can't necessarily find it or delete it with McAfee, AdAware, Easy Cleaner, OR MS Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool?! All I have on this is 'something... "KEY" is the script or program which is allowed to run and disables these necessary features.

Thank you!
    Taylor

9. 2006/11/22
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

10. 2006/11/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Taylor

I have moved your thread to the Removing Spyware & Viruses forum - please post an HJT log for analysis ...

Please download HijackThis through Quicklinks in my signature and save it to a folder on your hard drive, say C:\HJT - not to the Desktop or a temporary location. When entries are fixed with HJT a backup is made to the folder from which HJT is run and this must be in a permanent location.

Open the folder in which you placed HJT and double click on hijackthis.exe and select Scan and save a log file - this will be saved in the folder from which you ran HJT.

Copy and paste the log into your next post here.

11. 2006/11/23
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

With a now legal XP disc, can we ask why you didn't do a complete format and install? This would have eradicated any malware altogether.

Was there data which could not be saved?

Sounds like you just did a reinstall of the OS.