1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can receive emails but not send them

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Beach Boy, 2015/10/14.

1. 2015/10/14
    Beach Boy

Beach Boy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ever since I downloaded Windows 10 July 29 this year I have not been able to send emails by my email address provided by my INSP. I have been receiving emails quite well with this address but just cannot send any... would be very thankful for any help with this issue. [I have many more as well with Windows 10].

Beach Boy

2. 2015/10/14
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

What email app do you use? This happened to me too in winders Live mail. Had to reconfigure the outgoing server config. Use google to get the correct ISP Outgoing server port number. Open your mail right click the account and select properties, then the advanced tab. Also check the server tab to see you SMTP is correct. Hope this helps.

Last edited: 2015/10/15

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/15
    Beach Boy

Thank you, I have not used google yet, but when I used Windows 8.1, the port number for incoming mail was 993 and for outgoing mail was 465. Thing is, I don't know the proper way to enter these numbers in the email account space given for Windows 10. A couple weeks ago, I tried using these numbers, but probably did not enter in the correct position and I was not able to send or receive emails, so I removed them.

5. 2015/10/15
    MasterChief

Those look like gmail server numbers. Are you using the "Mail" that come with W10?

6. 2015/10/16
    Beach Boy

Those numbers are the numbers given me long ago by my ISP, Coralwave, a local internet company. Not sure I understand what you mean by the mail that come with W10. I also use a Microsoft email which I got from them ever since I had W8.1. There is no problem with that at all. I found Coralwave on Google and have to follow up with them... seems that I might be able to get an answer from that article... again, thanks for your help.

7. 2015/10/16
    MasterChief

Ahso, Then perhaps you should google.... Coralwave Mail Server Blacklisted in Bahamas.
    Good luck

8. 2015/10/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Just looking in and from the info MasterChief posted, I would suggest you get another source provider real quick as Coral Wave have been 'Blacklisted' before.
    Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird are free to use and I've been troublefree for 10 years myself and very happy with Mozilla. ;) :D Neil.

9. 2015/10/16
    Beach Boy

OK Retired learner, I will look into this. I already have 2 other email addresses I can use and I do use. I simply feel inclined to keep Coralwave, if not I will have to send an email to my bank and to about 6 other companies whose monthly bills I pay online and advise them of my new email address.

10. 2015/10/16
    retiredlearner

I have changed my ISP 4 times during the last 5-6 years. Telecom continual high cost structure finally made me change after being a loyal customer for 47 years.
    Telstra was next but were bought out by Vodafone. I'm now with 2Degrees who bought out Snap who I went to from Vodafone.
    My deal is 80GB's Broadband (fibre optic) phone landline incl. for $75.00 per month.
    Telecom were charging me $98.00 for copper Broadband 20GB's and phone.
    Loyalty can only go so far - reality has to be top priority at some stage.
    When your ISP gets blacklisted - time to move on. Neil.

11. 2015/10/17
    MasterChief

ISP costs are becoming outrageous. I am approx. 65 a month thru Comcast/Xfinity. The cheapest way I have found is thru a cellphone provider tethering. It really depends on your location for the better service. Untrustworthy providers in the Coralwave situation is a security risk especially if you are doing banking business thru it. :eek:

12. 2015/10/17
    Beach Boy

VOW!!! I have been using Cable Bahamas Ltd (Coralwave) since shortly after Windows 98 was set up, and this is the first time I am having any problems. I have been doing internet banking for 9 years now and have never had any problems in this area as well. I tend to think the problem is with Windows 10 and not the ISP. I live in the Bahamas, a small country with about 400,000 people scattered over a number of islands, and there are only 2 companies here that provide internet service. The other company is our phone company and I don't particularly like them. If you guys were to check the Microsoft Community forum, you'd find about 100 or more persons who have similar problems regarding sending and receiving emails...problems they had never had before installing Windows 10. Anyway, I'd continue trying to see what can be done and advise you folks asap. Thanks for your help.

13. 2015/10/18
    retiredlearner

Hi Beach Boy, If this was a major W10 problem - we would all be complaining!
    As at 30th. September I believe there were over 100 million users of W10!!!
    100 people experiencing email problems could be due to bugs in users systems and in your case your ISP may be having hiccups as reported.
    The most common problem I've seen/read is user dislike of the new OS and restoring to their previous OS.
    I personally have had no problems with 5 Drives running W10 Pro and Home and Insider Builds (3 HDD's and 2 SSD's.)
    What help are you getting from your ISP? Neil.

14. 2015/10/18
    Beach Boy

".......... What help are you getting from your ISP? "

YES! Thank you Retired learner for this question. This is the conclusion I myself have come to yesterday ,ie, to check with my ISP on this matter. Mind you I spoke with them a few times before, but a lady told me there is no problem on their part, and she kept saying that the Outlook email account is what is causing my problem. Well that seemed almost foolish to me as I am sending and receiving emails from my Gmail email account without any problems! So tomorrow, I plan to call my ISP and be with them until they resolve this issue. I will escalate this way up the chain of command if need be. Will let you know asap.

15. 2015/10/19
    MasterChief

This is what I had asked several posts back
    IMO Web Outlook is very user Unfriendly. I had to move away from it after w8 came out. there are more choices for email apps. Outlook is a Pay for app since it is only included in Office products. Windows 10 contains Windows Mail which tries to push Outlook on you but can config other mails. Windows Essentials is free and contains Windows Live Mail and is my prefered mail app and very robust(if thats the right word). I hope your isp can resolve your problem.:)

16. 2015/10/20
    Beach Boy

Pls forgive me MasterChief... I waned to answer you yesterday but spent SO much time with my ISP trying to resolve the email account problem. My, my, it really got worse! After I got through doing what the lady suggested, I can't receive nor send emails with it, even after setting it back to when I was able to receive and not send! This is very bad! I sent her an email last night telling her this new situation. What I think I will now do is not to depend on my ISP for help with this but search Googles for help. I saw some very useful articles on Googles last night about how to set up email accounts in Windows 10 through Coralwave. Thanks again.

17. 2015/10/20
    retiredlearner

Hi Beach Boy, Coralwave is your ISP - correct? Why not try Mozilla Thunderbird as your email account. It's free and has worked for me for 10 years.
    You will during set up with TB be asked if you want to migrate/import your mail into your new TB account.
    I'm only suggesting this as my experience with Mozilla TB has been trouble free and with many comps and Windows OS's ('98 ME XP Vista W7/8.1 and W10) and Linux/Ubuntu/Zorin. Neil.

18. 2015/10/22
    Beach Boy

When I tried to sign up for a Thunderbird email 2 days ago, a note came up saying one has to pay different prices for various types of email accounts. I have had so many expenses this year so far that whenever I come across anything I have to pay for that I can possibly do without, I am quick to avoid it. I already have 2 other email accounts I can use..

19. 2015/10/22
    retiredlearner

Have a look at this link: "Thunderbird Software made to make email easier "
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
    It has always been free - but Donations are accepted to assist development.
    I personally have donated to the cause as I've been a user for over 10 years as I stated previously. Neil.

Beach Boy likes this.
  20. 2015/10/23
    MasterChief

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials

Windows Live Mail is in the Windows Essentials 2012 dl. Being a Windows free product, it will sync with calender and display it also. You will possibly have to configure your mail settings your self. Mine it would put in old port server #.

21. 2015/11/14
    retiredlearner

I don't use Live Essentials or OneDrive but let's know how you get on. Neil.