1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can No Longer Copy URL

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JJ Emory, 2015/08/10.

1. 2015/08/10
    JJ Emory

JJ Emory Inactive Thread Starter

Having a problem now getting URL's for videos. When I right click and select copy URL I do not get the link. Anyone have an idea what the problem may be and how to solve it. Thanks Ladies and Gents.

2. 2015/08/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Where or what are you right clicking on?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/10
    JJ Emory

The same as I always do. For example, if there is a product video on line, I could right click on the video and the window would come up giving me some options. I chose copy URL and another window came up showing the URL. I then copied the URL and pasted where I wanted to. I also have not changed my browser (Firefox) so I don't know what could have happened. This happens for all videos, not just at one site location.

5. 2015/08/10
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi JJ Emory. Does that function work in Internet Explorer?

Lets see what is starting up with your machine.

Please download Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of all the startup entries in your next reply.

6. 2015/08/11
    JJ Emory

Thanks Evan. I tried this on Internet Explorer and it allows me to copy the URL. I will have to get back with you on your other suggestion.

7. 2015/08/11
    JJ Emory

Hi Evan,

Here is what came up. Attachment Program display.PNG

8. 2015/08/11
    JJ Emory

You have to hold the mouse pointer over the image to enlarge it. I will also add that since this started happening, everytime I go to a site I have never been to before, I get all this windows asking me if I want to block or accept a cookie....and on some sites it can be endless. My privacy setting seems normal, accept third party cookies.

Last edited: 2015/08/11
  9. 2015/08/11
    Evan Omo

In Autoruns, remove the following items:

HotKeysCmds
    IAStorIcon
    IgfxTray
    iTunesHelper
    Persistance
    HD Audio Background process (both entries)
    Realtek HD Audio Manager
    Arcsoft Connect Daemon
    WD Drive Utilities Helper
    FreeAgent Launcher
    mcpltui_exe McAfee
    OV3_Monitor (both entries)
    QuickTime Task
    WD Drive Auto Unlock
    WD Quick View
    HP Button Manager
    McAfee Security Scan
    BtvStack
    Windows Mail (both entries)

After you have removed those entries, reboot the computer and let me know if there is any change.

10. 2015/08/12
    JJ Emory

Thanks Evan, Something else to mention. I did not get the "Log in as Administrator" until I unchecked the first item on your list. Once I logged in, more items came up. I unchecked all the items listed and then went to file/save. I will now reboot the system and get back to you.

Last edited: 2015/08/12
  11. 2015/08/12
    JJ Emory

Hi Evan, Rebooted PC and so far, I can now copy the URL's. Thank you so much for your expertise advice. I'm so glad there is a forum like this for us to solve a problem. I truly appreciate your help. Was there any particular program that you thought was causing this? I also think your experience level is much more than intermediate. :)

Last edited: 2015/08/12
  12. 2015/08/12
    Evan Omo

Its hard to determine which program specifically could have caused the issue but the items that I had you remove from startup weren't needed so you should experience a faster Windows startup time now that those items have been removed.

Thank you for the compliment, but note that I added a + next to Intermediate which would indicate experience above the intermediate level.

Anyway do you have any other questions or would you consider this thread resolved?

13. 2015/08/12
    JJ Emory

I may submit another thread if I keep having problems with that cookie window coming up frequently asking me if I want to accept the cookie or block it. It is endless and also hard to believe how many cookies get in the PC. I do a disc clean up weekly.

14. 2015/08/12
    Evan Omo

Can you take a screenshot of the window and post it in your next reply so I can see the complete message?

15. 2015/08/13
    JJ Emory

Yes I will when it comes up again. It just appears that some place there must be something checked that asks me every time to accept or block a cookie.

16. 2015/08/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

There are settings in every browsers about accepting/blocking cookies. Which browser are you using?

AND, even if you allow ALL cookies like I do, some sites will do a pop up telling you the sites wants to follow you/know your location. I don't think there is anything you can do to stop that.

17. 2015/08/13
    JJ Emory

I am using Firefox. Never had these windows come up until the same time where I could not copy the URLs. I do not recall changing anything but obviously I must have.

18. 2015/08/13
    Evan Omo

Well if the issue hasn't presented itself then we can consider this thread resolved and if it happens again then feel free to start a new thread.

19. 2015/08/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you checked your settings? FF > Tools > Options > Neil.