1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

building my first computer, advice

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by orndog, 2002/01/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/14
    orndog

orndog Inactive Thread Starter

Having this resource again is great.
    My question has to do with what to expect when you build your own computer. I can put parts together, format drives, set partitions, and the like. I have done upgrades. But this is different, right? I am going to install a new motherboard into a new case, etc. Am I in for any unpleasant surprises? I am looking for tips on set-up, like will I have to go into the BIOS to set anything? Will it be okay to have all of my hardware installed at first boot-up, or should I spread it out over several boots. When and how do you perform the power-on self test? etc Any help/tips/advice will be much appreciated!
    Thanks

2. 2002/01/14
    PJ-Uk

PJ-Uk Guest

Hello orndog-
    Im no expert but all the hassles I ever seem to get come from the soundcard so tend to pull all my cards and get that one in first. Try and check out your mb first-ie find out what settings your processor/memory need. As for software-well you replied to my last post so Ill say no more on that one!Id say the best way to do it is to make sure you can get online while you are doing it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/14
    Cliffh

Cliffh Inactive

This is the sequence I use:

Put the feet on the case.

Check jumper settings on mo/bo. Install CPU & fan on mo/bo while still outside the case - it's a lot safer and you can put a small, resilient block under the mo/bo below the CPU socket to keep from over-bending the mo/bo when attaching the fan. Install the RAM. Install mo/bo in case.

Install all drives - hard drive, floppy & CD-ROM - in case, don't attach cables (power or data) yet. Install video card. Attach power leads and case buttons/lights wires to mo/bo (again, not to the drives).

Power on the system for a "smoke test ". You should get video and the system should start booting, at least up to the CMOS setup page. Power down and disconnect the incoming power from the power supply.

Install data and power cables for drives. Here's where things will differ, depending on how you want to do it. Personally, I install of the other add-in cards - modem, sound etc. - at this time. Some folks will recommend waiting to install the cards until after Windows is installed, then install the cards one at a time.

Power on the system. Go into the CMOS and make all appropriate changes - disable onboard virus, date/time, change COM (Serial) ports from Auto to actual addresses etc., etc., etc. - exit and save the changes.

Boot from a boot disk. Fdisk to create partition(s). Reboot. Format the drive(s). Reboot. Create a directory on the hard drive to hold the Windows installation files (Win95/98 only - not needed for WinME or WinXP) and start installing Windows from the hard drive (instead of CD-ROM disk).

5. 2002/01/14
    RayH

RayH Inactive

Install the modem AFTER you install Windows, unless you're installing XP. W9x likes to autodetect the things. XP will load them without autodetection.

RayH,
  6. 2002/01/15
    Chiles4

Chiles4 Inactive

Cliff's got alot of good stuff there. What I might add:

Make sure that you don't have any extra mobo standoffs that don't line up with a hole that you're using. These can short out your mobo.

Most including myself recommend only installing the video card prior to installing OS - no other cards. If you have any onboard hardware, LAN, Sound, USB, etc. I would enable these prior to loading OS.

Most BIOS options that mention shadowing or caching should be disabled unless they say L1 or L2. I recommend disabling ACPI for Win98 but enabling it for Win2K or XP.

Most importantly - constantly touch the sides of your case to statically discharge yourself while touching the components.

Be logical, methodical, and patient!

Last edited: 2002/01/15
  7. 2002/01/15
    orndog

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will be getting 2 more sets of UPS packages over the next two days. Hopefully I'll write back with a great report in a few days.

8. 2002/01/15
    Cliffh

Cliffh Inactive

Good luck :)

Yep, I march to a different drummer :D

9. 2002/01/16
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

I will make one suggestion on a processor heatsink and fan that applies to Athlon processors in particular. Athlon Socket A processors are easily broken when applying the heatsink. The problem is that most heatsinks come with spring mounting clips so strong, you would think they were being mounted as saddles on bucking bronchos.

These springs are so strong that they require so much pressure to mount and remove them that breaking a processor isn't just possible, it is likely.

I have found the only way to be sure I get a heatsink that doesn't have such a strong spring clip is to buy them locally and test the spring clip there in the store before I fork over the money.

I don't use Intel products so I don't know if the same applies to them.

Good luck

10. 2002/01/16
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

One important thing that I am very surprised has not been mentioned is a case with a good strong Power supply. I think it should be at least 300w now.

And also the case should have plenty ( even excessive ) room for cooling fans.

BillyBob

11. 2002/01/16
    bobmc32

bobmc32 Well-Known Member

I just built not too long ago and as to the install of the heatsink/fan and the clip(I speak of AMD here): I can be a bugger and require a lot of pressure but I found that the old rule of "use a bigger hammer" applies when installing the spring clip on the H/S fan to the processer. I used a wide blade screwdriver when doing this and carefully applied the pressure required and really had no problem. Instructions can scare you to death, but it's not that big of a deal and can be done if careful. Just don't slip and jab the MB. :) Luck to you in your building.

12. 2002/01/17
    orndog

I'm half-way done now, just waiting on my DVD and CDRW drives to get delivered (grrrrrr, I just *love UPS sometimes). As for the spring on my heatsink, I had a really tough one myself when I upgraded my last computer. However, the one I got this time for my AMD was a little different. It had an extra lip on it that I could hook a SMALL flat tip in, apply outward pressure, and it just clipped right on. As for the instructions that came with the case, they were not only useless, they were incorrect. If I had actually followed them, I would have had parts sticking out of the case. I joke and said it was because where they were written, they read right to left, but I am telling the truth when I say they showed putting the motherboard screws in from the wrong side!:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.