1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

browser no longer supported on XP

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by mandywr, 2014/12/03.

1. 2014/12/03
    mandywr

mandywr Inactive Thread Starter

When I start up google chrome I get this message

"This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because its hardware is no longer supported This version of Chrome is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser. "

I have an AMD Athlon X86 Family 6 Model 10, with XP Home.purchased new in 2004. I see no reason to buy a new processor since it works perfectly well, but it seems I need to change browser. Can you recommend a browser that is not so fussy about the age of the hardware. I have found some that require "pentium 4" but I do not know how to find out whether I have it.

please help

2. 2014/12/03
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Download Speccy here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard Run the program and it will show you what you have. You can also us it to fill in your system specifications. When I clicked on your My System link all that is showing is 32 bit.

Last edited: 2014/12/03
    lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi mandywr, I have 2 comp's that run XP SP3 (1 on XP Pro and the other Home edition) and I use Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird on both.
    Firefox is the browser and Thunderbird for email. I've been using FF and TB for 10 years and have no problems with it.
    Mozilla will update automatically or you can do it manually.
    I've just booted both comps to check this info and both have updated from FF version 32.0 to version 34 which is the latest.
    I use gmail as my server with Thunderbird email and Google Search with Firefox browser. All runs sweet as. You can Download and install FF and TB and import your settings from Chrome - then uninstall Chrome if you wanted to.
    You can leave Chrome and just make FF your Default browser. Neil.

5. 2014/12/03
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi mandywr. You are going to need to switch over to Mozilla Firefox or use an older version of Google Chrome since you are on Windows XP.

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

Note: A common error is to forget to show your System Details in your profile:

Make sure to do the above when entering your System Details, thanks.

6. 2014/12/04
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

"browser no longer supported on XP" is the wrong title here.

"This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because its hardware is no longer supported This version of Chrome is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser. "

It is your hardware that's the problem.

Future versions of Chrome will require a CPU capable of handling SSE2 instructions, and your AMD Athlon doesn't handle those.

Arie,
  7. 2014/12/05
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I've been getting the first part of that message, "This computer . . . . longer supported ", for about a year now. It's still working just fine on whatever version of Chrome it has. My processor is also an AMD and it's running Win XP.

I don't subscribe to the notion of always having the latest and brightest if the older one still does the job, so I really don't give a rat's behind if Google has quit updating it.