1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Booting stops because I have a USB mouse instead of a PS/2 mouse

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Daanii, 2008/11/15.

1. 2008/11/15
    Daanii

Daanii Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since I started using a USB mouse on my computer, whenever I boot it up it looks for a PS/2 mouse and cannot find one. So it stops. It displays a warning, telling me to press F1 if I want to proceed. I push F1, and it chugs ahead as usual.

Sounds like not much of a problem, but it has become annoying. Very annoying, for some reason.

I've looked in my BIOS for some way to turn off this check for a PS/2 mouse, but cannot find one. The motherboard is a VIA.

Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

2. 2008/11/15
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Back in your BIOS, look for a way to turn on Legacy USB support.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/15
    Daanii

Thanks for the prompt suggestion.

I think I found what you are referring to. There is an item called USB Keyboard Support. In the comment it says that it provides USB support for older environments like DOS and Windows 98.

I changed that from disabled to enabled. That did not fix the problem, though.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition, with SP3.

5. 2008/11/16
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

A strange one, I've heard of BIOS errors through no Keyboard but not because no detectable mouse was present. There are many VIA (Chipset) motherboards available. Can you supply model number and BIOS version?

edit: On a few of my boards in the BIOS Setup you have the option to "ignore errors except "...

If you have such an option select none, if that works let us know what other options are available and we can cut out the memory/disk errors etc.

Last edited: 2008/11/16
  6. 2008/11/17
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

You can also try going into Device Manager and on the View tab, select Show Hidden Devices. Navigate to Mice and pointing devices and remove everything listed. Reboot. Let Windows run through its New Hardware Found Wizard. After everything is loaded, Reboot again.

Any change?

;)

7. 2008/11/17
    Eric Robinson

Eric Robinson Inactive

Sounds like a BIOS message. Changing settings, drivers, etc. in Windows would not affect the BIOS behavior.

8. 2008/11/17
    Eric Robinson

Eric Robinson Inactive

What model is your VIA motherboard?

9. 2008/11/17
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Additionally, what is the exact warning message?

10. 2008/11/18
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I'll be glad whenever Daanii comes back to review these posts and would certainly agree that it acts like it's BIOS related but don't forget, drivers load before Windows. Regardless, changing settings for "Halt On Errors" to none as suggested by Wildfire in post #4 should do the trick.

;)

Last edited: 2008/11/18
  11. 2008/11/18
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

That's the one, I knew there as a double negative in my post but I also knew the selection should be "None" :)

I was just too lazy to reboot and check what the option was ;)

Thanks Rockster.

12. 2008/11/18
    Daanii

Thanks all for the posts and suggestions. Sorry for the delayed response. My wife has been in Japan for her niece's wedding. I've had to care for our two teenage boys. They keep me hopping.

You were right, Wildfire. I found the "Halt On" item in the BIOS. It was set to "All, but Keyboard." I changed it to "None." That did indeed solve the problem. Thank you.

For completeness, the exact error message was "PS/2 Mouse error or no PS/2 mouse present." Motherboard is VIA P4PB 400.

13. 2008/11/18
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Good to hear, if you go back into the BIOS now and see if there is a Halt On -> All, but Keyboard/Mouse then select that. This ensures that any memory checks/disk checks are performed during POST (Power On Self Test). If the option isn't available then don't worry too much just leave the option set to None. The POST checks are very basic anyway and by the time they pick things up you'll probably already know about it.

14. 2008/11/18
    Daanii

No choice for "All, but Mouse." Just for keyboard and disk. So I'll just see what happens with the "None" option checked.

Thanks for the help.

15. 2008/11/18
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

No problem, as I said the (non-fatal) POST checks are very basic anyway so best left set to none if they give a problem.