1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista BlueScreen before ComboFix finish

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by clubECGR, 2009/10/24.

1. 2009/10/24
    clubECGR

clubECGR Inactive Thread Starter

Ok. so I don't know which forum I should go but here goes:

My story why bluescreen happens:

Months ago, my Asus's battery meter (Power4) crashed and I re-installed all the drivers.

After so many days, it went to bluescreen from time to time. Sometimes it's every 2 hours.

Finally, after 1 week ago, I did create another profile (username) thinking I could resolve anything but I was wrong.

It's been a long time since I ran Combofix on this machine that I thought it was invaded by any malware.

So I ran the Combofix and went to the bathroom to do something. I went back and I saw the Welcome Screen of Vista. I thought it restarted. I didnt find any log so I ran it again in safe mode because Combofix will not run on normal Vista operation. It got any errors like 1072 but I did ran it and got it work until the 50th process. And then it greeted me by the Blue screen.

I did checked what it caused and this is what it said:
    http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/projectsky/bluescreen.jpg

Will installing Windows 7 help resolve this issue. As far as I know, it's not a hardware errors as mostly the Bluescreen are like CORRUPTED DRIVER and NTFS ERROR.

I still can't re-install the built in Vista as WIndows 7 is now available. Re-installing Vista is like burning something unless I compiled everything back.

PS: Sorry for the blurry-like picture. It was fine when I pasted it. perhaps photobucket has done something to my pic or my connection is only 3G/HSDPA.

Any website I can upload all my Bluescreen logs? I want you to see it so I can finally decide to buy Windows 7 or just fix it within Vista

Last edited: 2009/10/24
  2. 2009/10/24
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Highly unlikely.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/10/24
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Not true.

Your BSOD type of errors may indicate RAM problem, or some infection.

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
    ...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
    2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
    3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
    4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
    5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
    6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
    7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

[​IMG]

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
    9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

[​IMG]

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

[​IMG]

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

[​IMG]

The following image is the test results area:

[​IMG]

The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

5. 2009/11/02
    clubECGR

sorry for the delay. Im trying every single suggestions mentioned.

I only have 1 memory.

my notifier has not told me that there was another reply but I did subscribe. sorry for the late response. Be back for some results

6. 2009/11/02
    broni

Ok...

7. 2009/11/02
    clubECGR

will i leave it overnight? it's only 40 minutes and the results are in. Perhaps I should wait for the another batch to finish.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/projectsky/03112009164.jpg

When I say Combofix is not working under normal operation, I mean that my laptop was infected by a malware before but that was healed. But the default settings were not restored but my laptop is clean. Now that I'm beginning to experience the BlueScreen right after I re-installed the drivers, I'm beginning to think if I should install Windows 7 thinking that re-installing Vista Basic will just make my life miserable - Windows 7 is now available.

I know it's a software issue but I'm beginning to wonder what the NTFS-error or FAT-error means? Is it a Hard drive issue? Most of the time, it's telling me a corrupted driver and sometimes it's about PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. But all I can see is the ntkrnl-xx.exe issues. What's ntkrnl-xx.exe+xxxx do?

Right now, I noticed that after I changed username, the BlueScreen has been reduced and it's giving me during ComboFix in SafeMode though I'll test it again if it's causing in some random times.

Thank you for your time.

PS: My email told me there's a reply here but I didn't received an update from broni's reply right after sir Arie's. I did see sir Arie's reply and then close it. Then there were no more update until sir Arie sent me a PM and my email notified me.

8. 2009/11/02
    broni

Run the test overnight and see what happens.
    One step at a time.

9. 2009/11/03
    clubECGR

Ok. So I did ran it overnight and the 'wall time' is now on the 12 hour mark so I stopped. Did I do I good job? No errors has been found (between the line and the one below the screen).

Since Windows 7 is cheap here (US$ 200 for Ultimate), I should go for one. That is if my hardware has no errors like bad RAM or HDD.

-Chris

10. 2009/11/03
    broni

11. 2009/11/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

@ clubECGR,

broni is giving you good advice here but can I interupt and remind you and broni that memory tests are not conclusive.

Memory has three (basic) cycles. Read, write and execute. Memtest and other testers are capable of testing read & write but it is very rare that execute is tested. Follow broni's (or other analysts) advice in the other thread but be aware you may still require new RAM or adjust BIOS settings.

12. 2009/11/03
    clubECGR

I'll try combofix in both operations. hopefully, the bluescreens are just random. if not, I'll have to downgrade from 2Gb of RAM to 1GB new and back to basic.

I'll shift to the other thread now. thanks

PS: New RAM and adjusting bios are good idea. i'll try to do it after diagnosting my laptop.

13. 2009/11/05
    clubECGR

Going back here.

Based from the results of the Malware diagnose, I could say that the question to my original question is: Yes, you can just install WIndows 7 on your machine. With this theory, I know it's a malware issue.

I'm still embarassed as I took someone to diagnose my machine when all I want is "if I can just install a new OS regardless of a full re-format or an upgrade "

Still, we don't have enough money to buy Windows 7 yet so I really appreciate the help in removing the malware.

I think I can declare my laptop clean as the culprit is a xxxx.sys file that's causing the bluescreen. But I should also note that I should re-install the OS at anytime because some programs like MBAM and ComboFix won't run on normal operation - the default settings of my OS was not set to factory default.

But what the heck? It's a hassle to re-install things so removing the malware is a MUST.

I hope I didn't changed anything here.

Off to continue the malware removal as my messenger notified me that Broni has replied to my topic in the malware forum.

PS: some of my programs are hard to find. lol.

Last edited: 2009/11/05
  14. 2009/11/05
    clubECGR

After I read my malware topic:

I still don't know if I should mark this one SOLVED or not as I'm trying to test if the BlueScreen is coming back.

Is it ok if this topic will be open for the next days? I'll let my laptop open to test if there are random BlueScreens or not. If there are no BlueScreen for 3 days, I'll mark this topic solve.

For now, the one on the malware forum will be marked as Solved as Combofix is working again.

Thank you sir Broni for the assistance.

15. 2009/11/05
    broni

You're welcome:)
    Nobody is going to close your topic.
    Keep us posted.

16. 2009/11/10
    clubECGR

I don't know why some driver malware installed on my laptop but it doesn't have any more random blue screens. Thanks for the advice about going to the malware forum. I guess, when it's getting blue screen and it's not hardware related, I need to go to the malware forum and seek for assistance.

Our laptop has not turned off since I last post here and there were no random blue screens. It saved me US$200 in buying a Windows 7. Perhaps my only problem is the electric bill, hahaha, since my laptop hasn't been turned off since I last posted.

Last edited: 2009/11/10
  17. 2009/11/10
    broni

I'm very glad to hear all good news :) (except for the electric bill....LOL)