1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Black Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jdkoller3, 2018/01/24.

1. 2018/01/24
    jdkoller3

jdkoller3 New Member Thread Starter

I've got a Black screen on my laptop. In the upper left hand corner it says Administrator:cmd.exe. Below that it says Microsoft windows [version 10.0.15063]. Below that is c:\WINDOWS\system32>
    How do I get to restore it to a date before this happened.

2. 2018/01/24
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Hi jdkoller3,

Welcome to WindowsBBS ... :) ... !

On my LapTop running Windows 10, hitting the F12 key during startup brings up a Boot Menu with the option <HDD Recovery>. Since I have no problems, I just exited but that would be my first attempt at recovery.

If that fails, a quick google search for "windows 10 system restore from command prompt" gave several hints, one of them: How to Run System Restore via Command Prompt in Windows 10

Nor have I been down that route but it says to boot into "Safe Mode with command prompt". Since you already are at a command prompt, is there a blinking understroke at the end of the bottom line?

If so, type in "rstrui.exe" (without the quote marks) and hit enter. This should start System Restore. If not, restart according to instructions in that article.

Also, please go to your profile page > preferences and enter your system details.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/02/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2018/02/11
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

jdkoller3 hasn't been back since he/she became a member and posted his/her question ... :( ... !