1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Bad Sector

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Hossam, 2002/01/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/07
    Hossam

Hossam Inactive Thread Starter

hello ,

i want to know if i can maintane bad sector in my H.D

its growup from day to day

Western Digital

2. 2002/01/07
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/07
    beanman2k

beanman2k Inactive

I would say, its telling you to prepare for the worse. If you can, backup your data and plan to spend your hard earned dollars for a new drive.
    There are things to try, but, most of the time, replacing the drive is thr final fix. You could try doing a full format with surface check enabled and see if it helps, or go to the drive vendor's site and get their software that will perform a write all zeros to the drive and then do the full format routine. Fortunately for you, new drive are at an all time low in price, so the pain will not be as great.
    Good luck and post back with your results. :)

5. 2002/01/07
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I 2nd the post by beanman2k.

But I would also suggest a check of the Power supply to see if it is fluctuating at all.

Also are you aware of any fluctuation of the power in your home ? That killed a partition on one of my HDs recently. My PC was on when the power dipped several times and I was next door. I am thankful it is not my Master drive and is only used for storage. And everything on it is duplicated on another machine as well as a CD.

If either one of the above do exist I would suggest fixing them first as either will tear up a new drive also.

Or, has anyone been using the power switch to restart the machine and turning it off and back on too quickly. ? The power switch should only be used as a last resort when restarting a machine.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2002/01/07
  6. 2002/01/10
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

Having one or even a few bad sectors isn't necessarily a thing of great concern; however, if you have bad sectors and there are more from day to day, the logic (circuit) board on the hard disk is probably bad, meaning the hard disk will fail completely soon.

My advice is to back up your data immediately and replace the disk as soon as possible.

If you identify new bad sectors every time or nearly every time a surface scan is run, your drive definitely fits the abovee diagnosis of a bad logic board.

7. 2002/01/10
    DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Inactive

Depending on the age of the drive, it may also be experiencing mechanical wear in the arm mechanism. Because the gap between the read/write heads and the platter surfaces is measured in millionths of an inch, ANY wear can result in contact of a head with the surface causing physical damage to the oxide coating. And, a sharp impact on the computer case while the drive is reading or writing could also damage a platter surface.

Whatever the root cause of the sector failures, I concur 100% with my esteemed colleagues that it's a forewarning of a major crash. It's wise to back up everything you can't afford to lose as soon as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.