1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Backup error: "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)"]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rdgrady, 2016/04/15.

1. 2016/04/15
    rdgrady

rdgrady Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my laptop from Win 7 to Win 10, as an experiment before possibly upgrading my desktop. It is about 6 years old, Toshiba, and has most of the same software as my main computer. I figured if everything worked on it, probably safe to get Win 10 on desktop. Almost everything works. I was even able to make a recovery disk and make a full image, using the Win 7 backup. Now to the problem - when trying to schedule and make a monthly backup. When I go to make the backup, I get this message - "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002) ". If anyone has ideas, that work, on how to alleviate this issue, I will be extremely thankful. Being new to Win 10, still trying to find everything, since not same as 7.

2. 2016/04/15
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/15
    rdgrady

I had found that post from Microsoft before. I am using an external USB hard drive, which I used when I was just running Win 7. Scenario 3 is the closest to what I deal with, since the backup never even starts. I do only have 3G of memory, but don't have the NVIDIA controller. Although it is possible that scenario 1 could be the culprit, no way to ignore something that quits before it starts.

5. 2016/04/15
    Evan Omo

Well did you go through the manual backup process and customize what folders you want backed up? That error message is coming up because the system cannot find certain locations that are listed as backup directories so you should double check the directories that you have selected to backup.

If you are still getting the error message then reset the Windows Backup utility to its default configuration and see if that works, How to Reset Windows Backup Files Configuration in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

6. 2016/04/15
    rdgrady

I selected only those directories that I know are there, and still get the same message. I can't figure out what file it is looking for that isn't there. Any other suggestions?

7. 2016/04/15
    Evan Omo

I would reset the backup configuration using the link that I posted and then re-create the backup schedule from scratch.

8. 2016/04/15
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I stopped using Win7 backup long ago as I was never ever able to restore from them. Instead of relying on Win 7 backup, try using some other programs.

I use the following:

1. AOMEI Backup (free) (for partition backup)
    2. @MAX Sync (data backup)
    3. File History (data backup

All these backups run on different times & save data on different disks including an external one.

9. 2016/04/21
    rdgrady

Did all that and get the same message. Thanks anyway.

10. 2016/04/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,
  11. 2016/04/22
    rdgrady

I don't have that chipset. I am also sick of Microsoft issues, so am looking at alternatives for a backup that take the place of their utility. Will update this thread when I make a decision. I didn't try the chkdsk, but am just going to try a different direction.

12. 2016/04/22
    rdgrady

Solution for me

I read a CNET review on EaseUS TODO backup software. Have tried the trial version. Was able to do system backup and schedule when I want the next. Although I have to wait to see if it works like I want, pleased with what I've seen. Think this will be a good answer.