1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Backing up jpeg images to external HD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by troof, 2016/08/08.

1. 2016/08/08
    troof

troof Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am trying to move 13,000 .jpg images (files that I gathered in my search results) from my old dell latitude win 7 to a 1 TB west dig external hard drive backup.

After I select and copy the files (a few or all) from the search window and try to paste them to the BU drive I get the error message.... "Cannot move file. Cannot read from the source file or disk"

What am I missing ? Is there another way to move this many files that I am not aware of?

Thank you. Ted

2. 2016/08/08
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Try with just one image file "dragging" (click and hold mouse button to highlight, them move and drop - let go of mouse button) and see what happens. If still no good, try to move one file to another folder (or desktop) on the Dell.

You might also try using xcopy from a command prompt too.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/08
    troof

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. First I tried your suggestion of selecting one file to copy and paste to the destination file using Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V . It worked. Then I tried about 15 files and got the same error as stated earlier.

I then tried moving 15 files again but this time I used the Move to Folder option under the edit tab. This worked a couple of times but then the third time the Move to Folder option was grayed out. Tried several times short of rebooting ut the option remains grayed out.

Whenever I chose “select all “ and try to paste or move all the files at once my computer rebels and will not allow me to move the files.

I cannot imagine moving 13,000 files one at a time. Not going to happen.

Also creating a new file on my desktop did not alter the results.

Thank you. Ted

5. 2016/08/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Try the Copy to Folder option under the Edit tab...

6. 2016/08/08
    troof

While I was doing all this I did notice one thing. All the search results were mostly in blue with some of the results in black type. If I selected only the blue type I had better results. If even one of the black type results were in the selection I would get the error message as I described earlier. Does this make any sense?

7. 2016/08/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

In Windows, files displayed as blue means they are compressed.

When you copy a file to a folder, the file takes on the compression attribute of the target folder. For example, if you copy a compressed file to an uncompressed folder, the file is automatically uncompressed when it is copied to the folder.

If you copy files to a compressed NTFS folder that does not have enough room for all of the files in their uncompressed state, you will receive a message indicating that there is not enough space on the disk even though the files will all fit when compressed. Because NTFS allocates space based upon the uncompressed size of the file, you can get this error when the uncompressed size of the file exceeds the size of the volume.

If you cannot delete any files or do not have any files that you can compress, you can usually copy all of the files if you first copy the largest or the ones that compress best. You can also try copying them in smaller groups rather than all at once.

Source: Effects of Compression on Moving and Copying Files

Arie,
  8. 2016/08/09
    troof

Thank you Arie. I guess I have learned something new about Windows that my mother never told me. Your reply was very interesting.

My next questions are:

If I go ahead and copy all the compressed (blue) files and paste them to a folder in my external HD successfully do I need to compress the remaining files (black) before I can copy them to the external HD?

Also in what state will the files be when they are copied to the external HD?

Ted

9. 2016/08/09
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If one of the source files is corrupt, it might cause problems too. You might run chkdsk /r from an elevated command on the source drive to make sure nothing is corrupt.

I didn't even think of compressed files. Good catch, Arie!

Bill,
  10. 2016/08/09
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Green= Encrypted

lj50,
  11. 2016/08/09
    troof

Thanks all. With the above advice I think I have enough information to be able to accomplish my goal of removing all my photos and moving them to my BU external HD. If I should run into any more problems I will be back. What a great educational site BBS is. Thanks Ted