1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

AutoStreamer: Slipstreaming a Windows XP SP2 Bootable Install CD the EASY Way

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mailman, 2006/08/15.

1. 2006/08/15
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member Thread Starter

Here's one way (without using AutoStreamer): Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD (I've been too lazy to try this method yet.)

===================

IMHO, here's a much easier/quicker way to slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 2 and create a bootable CD with AutoStreamer...

Please read my comments/questions at the end of this message and consider waiting for replies from others before trying this yourself.

I EASILY created my .ISO image with AutoStreamer (direct link to download the AutoStreamer.exe installer file).

Here is a link to AutoStreamer Instructions. (Ignore the "Preparing:" part of those instructions since this AutoStreamer.exe has a built-in extractor/installer.) Those instructions describe how to create an .ISO image with the Service Pack 2 File downloadable from Microsoft.

I experimented and tried AutoStreamer with the SP2 CD I ordered from Microsoft through snail mail instead...and it worked!

[SIZE= "3"]AutoStreamer is SLICK![/SIZE] :)

===================

How I used AutoStreamer to EASILY Create an .ISO Image from a Full Retail Version Windows XP Home SP1 CD and SP2 CD (by mail from Microsoft) from Two CD Drives:

(I had ordered the SP2 CD online from Microsoft and received it in the mail. I don't know if the SP2 CD via mail is still available from Microsoft. I couldn't quickly find a link anyway.)

(I'm not certain if this procedure will work with an upgrade version of Windows XP Home. I expect it will work.)

• Create a destination folder on your hard drive that you will use to store your WinXPSP2.iso file.
    • Place your full-install Windows XP Home SP1 CD in one CD drive (and exit the "Welcome to Windows XP" menu if you have auto-start enabled for your CD drive.)
    • Place your SP2 CD in another CD drive (and exit the "Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 2" window if necessary).
    • Open AutoStreamer.
    • Select "I want to use my original Windows CD.
    • Click the "Next" button.
      AutoStreamer will automatically do the fololowing:
      • detect your Windows XP Home SP1 CD location
      • fill in the correct drive letter
      • show operating system, build, and size info
      • show a green check mark next to the "Windows CD drive:" field
    • Click the magnifying glass next to the "Service pack file:" field.
    • Browse to your SP2 CD drive root folder and select the "XPSP2.EXE" file.
      (If you use the SP2 downloaded from Microsoft, your filename is likely different.)
    • Click the "Open" button and wait a minute or two for AutoStreamer to analyze the SP2 build information.
      (Finally a green check mark will appear to the left of the "Service pack file:" field which indicates you can proceed.)
    • Click the "Next" button.
      (This will open a window where you need to select your destination path/filename for the .ISO file.)
    • Click the magnifying glass next to the "Target ISO file:" field.
    • Browse to your desired ISO file destination folder.
    • Type the filename you want for your .ISO file in the "File name:" field.
    • Click the "Save" button.
      (A green check mark will appear next to your "Target ISO file:" field.)
    • Click the "Finish" button.
    • Sit back and watch AutoStreamer proceed (or browse the Internet, check your e-mail, or whatever).:)
      (AutoStreamer will automatically build your .ISO image. During the process, your firewall or other operating system protection software might alert you to AutoStreamer's components trying to access privileged resources. Allow that access. :) Autostreamer's process will take about 5-10 minutes, depending on your CD drive speeds and system configuration.)
    • When AutoStreamer completes, the "Exit" button will become active. Click the "Exit" button and you're done!

Once you have created your .ISO image, you're ready to use Nero Express (or whatever application you prefer) to burn a bootable slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD.

===================

How to create a CD from an .ISO image with Nero Express 5 (probably the same steps or similar with other versions of Nero/Nero Express):

• Upon opening Nero Express 5, there is a section of the window titled "What would you like to burn? "
    • Select the last item in the list: "Disc image or saved project "
      (This pops up an "Open" window.)
    • In the Files of type: field, select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue) "
    • Browse to the the folder that contains the .ISO image you already created.
    • Select the .ISO file and click the "Open" button.
      (This opens up another Nero window.)
    • Verify your destination drive is correct and then click the "Next" button and the burning process will begin.

I burned another slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD while writing the steps above to be certain I outlined the procedure correctly.
    (2 minutes 28 seconds after clicking the "Next" button (at 48x recording speed): Voila! I have a bootable slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD!) :)

===================

[SIZE= "4"]COMMENTS/QUESTION:[/SIZE]

I have not yet tried installing Windows XP Home SP2 from the slipstreamed CD to a formatted blank hard drive yet to be 100% certain the installation will work. (I will purchase a couple drives before I try it.) However, when I insert the slipstreamed CD into my CD drive, the "Welcome to Windows XP" menu comes up. The I386 folder on the CD contains several 8/4/2004 files (as expected). The slipstreamed CD has SP1.CAB, SP1.CAT (both also present on my retail SP1 CD, as expected) and SP2.CAB, SP2.CAT (both not present on my SP1 CD, as expected.) So far, all looks OK.

Here are the file contents of the slipstreamed CD's root:

Code:
    FILENAME	SIZE (bytes)	DATE/TIME	MD5-HASH
    ========	============	=========	========
    AUTORUN.INF	110		3/31/2003 08:00	24A74EB0F379777106375FE95A34FE53
    README.HTM	34,301		7/17/2004 22:54	D363C0B40A90FA8BEB3499E55FD675B8
    SETUP.EXE	1,314,816	8/3/2004 23:04	920A328906CF4E1BB3F4D761271CACFD
    SETUPXP.HTM	85,792		7/17/2004 11:32	789C0429F0CB20EA1A8348616006C09A
    SPNOTES.HTM	11,387		3/31/2003 08:00	60059E5E530E82D62E52EF8CB005A0E6
    WIN51		10		3/31/2003 08:00	88DF6667D9071878118C73B64E05A4FF
    WIN51IC		10		3/31/2003 08:00	88DF6667D9071878118C73B64E05A4FF
    WIN51IC.SP1	2		3/31/2003 08:00	81051BCC2CF1BEDF378224B0A93E2877
    WIN51IC.SP2	2		8/4/2004 02:07	81051BCC2CF1BEDF378224B0A93E2877
    The folders in the CD's root are DOCS, DOTNETFIX, I386, SUPPORT, VALUEADD.

I'm now in the process of manually downloading my 77 post-SP2 security hotfixes from the Microsoft Catalog (because I don't want to be TOO lazy;)). Then I'll be ready to try creating a fresh install of Windows XP Home SP2 from my slipstreamed CD and then execute the post-SP2 hotfixes in chronological install order as I have them currently installed (according to Belarc Advisor).

Is it necessary/advisable to install the post-SP2 hotfixes in chronological order?

(I'll probably play with the AutoPatcher utility JRosenfeld mentioned in this post too.)

If you read this whole long-winded message, thanks!

EDIT: I also booted to my slipstreamed CD and it successfully went to the Windows XP installation menu (after a bunch of drivers loaded from the CD). Of course, I pressed the F3 key to exit the installation menu because I'm not ready to fully test the install process yet. :)

DISCLAIMER: While the steps I outlined in this message worked for me, your mileage may vary. Proceed at your own risk. (i.e., Back-up your system first).

EDIT #2: (I removed a couple questions I no longer think I need answered after I did some research.) :)

Last edited: 2006/08/15
  2. 2006/08/15
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive

I slipstreamed SP1

I did not upgrade to SP2 but I do have SP1. Since I occasionally receive a request to insert an original CD which does not have SP1, I used the AutoStreamer program to create an SP1 disk. Have not had an opportunity to use it yet. I did have trouble finding an SP1 upgrade, but finally found it on a college site.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/15
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, you only have about 2 months left to get SP2. You'll be left without updates after that (and are already more vulnerable with SP1 as compared to SP2).

Arie,
  5. 2006/08/15
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member Thread Starter

MD5 Hash Values Research

Thinking out loud...

These MD5 hash values are interesting.

WIN51IC is apparently identical to WIN51 in every respect except the filename
    MD5 Hash: 88DF6667D9071878118C73B64E05A4FF

WIN51IC.SP2 is apparently identical to WIN51IC.SP1 in every respect except the filename and date.
    MD5 Hash: 81051BCC2CF1BEDF378224B0A93E2877

So I did a little research to find out a little more.

I Googled "WIN51 WIN51IC WIN51IC.SP1 WIN51IC.SP2 " (in a single search, without the quotes) and got about 128 results.

Here are some of the English forum pages Google linked in it's first page of results:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=53391&mode=linear
    http://bink.nu/forums/8189/ShowPost.aspx
    http://bink.nu/forums/8026/ShowPost.aspx
    http://chip-india.com/dcquery.php?qid=1906 includes info stating the files are required "ident" files.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=15138 includes:

The information on these linked paged does not explain why the slipstreamed CD files identified in this post are identical. :(

I Googled "WIN51 WIN51IC WIN51IC.SP1 WIN51IC.SP2 identical " (without the quotes) and narrowed Googles results to two URLs. Neither one explains why the files are identical. (However this page contains some info I might want to tinker/experiment with some day.)

Googling "WIN51 WIN51IC WIN51IC.SP1 WIN51IC.SP2 MD5" (without the quotes) wasn't fruitful either. :(

I'd like to know why the files mentioned above are identical if anyone knows and is willing to share. :)

Comments?

===============

BTW, I Googled the MD5 hash values and got interesting results:

Googling 88DF6667D9071878118C73B64E05A4FF produced only 1 result (apparently related to WIN51IP) that isn't really informative.

Googling 81051BCC2CF1BEDF378224B0A93E2877 produced about 331 results (apparently unrelated to the files named in this post).

The disparity between the Google results seems strange. :confused:

Ideas? Comments?

Last edited: 2006/08/15
  6. 2006/09/12
    rdwalt

rdwalt Inactive

XP Pro with SP1 - Adding SP2

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

The CD already SP1 so when I went to burn the CD I omitted "WIN51IP.SP1 "

Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?

I plan on installing the OS this week so I will post an update then.