1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Auslogics defragmented drive D]

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by nolacs22, 2014/01/24.

1. 2014/01/24
    nolacs22

nolacs22 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently installed a defrag program called auslogics and it said that it defragged both C and D drive. How can D drive be defragged? I thought users don't have that access because that is the drive we will need for a refresh/restore. Is my D drive now compromised?

HP pavilion g6-2225nr
    Win 8 x64V6.2 IE 10
    Auslogics defrag V4.4.1:eek:

2. 2014/01/24
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi nolacs22. Your D drive is most likely used for restoring your machine to factory defaults. Your D drive is not compromised or anything. Auslogics simply found parts of the partitioned drive that were fragmented and defragged the drive. You don't need to worry about it.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/01/24
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please follow our Posting Rules (#3 - Meaningful Subject).

I have adjusted your subject.

nolacs22 likes this.
  5. 2014/01/24
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I have a restore / recovery partition, but it is not listed in Auslogics defragger.

In Computer Management, I have a 39Mb OEM partition, and a 15Gb recovery partition - of which, neither is listed in Auslogics Defragger, or any other defragging program (recovery partition is listed in Windows own defragging program).

Windows doesn't usually assign a drive letter to these (supposedly) hidden partitions, does it?

nolacs22 likes this.
  6. 2014/01/24
    nolacs22

It definitely said that it defragged both C and D, and I have used drive D for many restore operations, and all were successful.Thank you for your quick reply! One more thing I forgot to mention is this was auslogics free version.I really like the extra info this program gives me. I really don't have to defrag that often.

Last edited: 2014/01/24
  7. 2014/01/24
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

OK, I think I answered my own question.

HP designates drive letter D for their recovery partitions, and that is the reason it showed up in Auslogics Defragger. Assigning a drive letter to a recovery partition seems awful strange to me, and I have read where some HP users have tried to re-letter their recovery partition to something else so they could reassign D to a storage partition / drive.

nolacs22 likes this.
  8. 2014/01/24
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The defragger in Win 8 does a good job and will do it automatically. It can be scheduled when you want it done.

You are behind on your updates. IE 11 has been out for a few months now. IE 10 is insecure.

nolacs22 likes this.
  9. 2014/01/25
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree. Actually, using a 3rd party defragger like Auslogics on a Windows 8 (and Windows 7) system will actually degrade performance!!!!

Why? Because Windows uses its built-in defragger to work with Windows 8's "fetch" routines to arrange files on your disks based on how you, the user, use your machine so those files and programs load faster when Windows loads, or when you call up those programs. And only the Windows defragger does this. Using a 3rd party defragger will "undue" all that "optimization ".

While 3rd party defraggers "may" provide a more efficient defragging of your hard disk, those few extra percentage points are quickly negated within minutes - if not seconds of you using the computer again after defragging as 100s of temp files, system files and data files are read, temporarily saved, modified, and closed (saved) again.

IMO, all an aftermarket defragger does is eat up disk space. My advice for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users is to uninstall all aftermarket defraggers to free up that wasted space, then run CCleaner or Disk Cleanup to rid the system of clutter, then run Windows Defragger to "optimize" the disk based on your actual usage.

In fact, in Windows 7 and 8, Windows defragger is already scheduled by default to run once a week. However, Auslogics may have changed that during install so I would verify you have defragging scheduled, or you remember to do it manually.

FTR, I always defrag my drives manually because I run CCleaner on my disks first to purge them of 100s (1000s) of tiny temp files. IMO, defragging with 1000s of temp files on the disks is hinders efficient defragging.

Also, remember, SSDs don't need defragging due to the way data is accessed (that is, "directly" versus of sending a mechanical R/W head back and forth across the platters). Windows will automatically disable defragging on SSDs when the SSD is detected.

Bill,
    nolacs22 likes this.
  10. 2014/01/25
    Evan Omo

We've been through this discussion before Bill, haha. :D

11. 2014/01/25
    nolacs22

Thanks a lot what a great post!

12. 2014/01/25
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes we have. I look at it this way. If I have something on my PC that does a good/great job, why load up another program/programs that do the same thing.

13. 2014/01/26
    Bill

Exactly! But so often they don't just do the same thing - but all sorts of things users don't need. Like add extras during installation like toolbars and new home pages. Or they install autoupdaters that constantly run and consume resources and almost constantly use your Internet connection to check for updates that come once a year. :(

Windows has lots of "basic" tools integrated into Windows and for most people, the basic tools are more than adequate - and perfectly suitable for the task the vast majority of the time. These include Disk Optimize (Window's defragger), Disk Cleanup, chkdsk, Windows Memory Diagnostics, Windows Defender (in W8) and Windows Firewall, and more.

That said, since W8's defragger works with other Windows features in a "synergistic" manner to improve performance like no other defragging program, I contend Windows defragger is a "better" tool than Auslogics defragger, or any other 3rd party defragger - and that includes Defraggler from Piriform - another excellent, but unneeded tool.

So what, Evan? This is not your thread! :( Just because you and I have had this discussion before does NOT mean everyone else in the world, especially new members, are already aware of the facts.

Since you already knew Windows own defragger offered significant advantages over Auslogics, why did you fail as a helper here to inform our readers of the facts? Why did you instead jump in for the sole purpose of criticizing others? :confused: How was that helpful?

If you feel my comments are a waste of time - don't read them! Or report them and let admin and the moderators do the moderating! But PLEASE stop wasting everyone else's time with posts that contribute absolutely NOTHING to the topic. And for sure, PLEASE! We don't need posts that are for the sole purpose of you criticizing others. :(

@Evan - as long as new members (and new-to-computer users) come along asking questions, there is a good chance you will read an answer I have posted before. FTR, I have a 56-page Word document full of my "canned texts" just ready to copy and paste in a thread. ;)

14. 2014/01/26
    Evan Omo

Yes I understand that Bill but I was pointing it out just as a funny comment. It wasn't my intention of offending anyone. :(

What? I was simply answering the question of the original poster in my first post about whether or not there was a danger in Auslogics defragmenting the D drive which there wasn't. Yes the Windows Defrag utility is perfectly fine for use but that wasn't the original posters question. They wanted to know if their recovery drive had been compromised by using Auslogics which I answered. Please tell me where I came in and criticized someone Bill. I feel like you are blowing this whole issue out of proportion.

Again when have I EVER said or implied that your comments are a waste of time? I have learned a great deal of information from your insightful posts.

Good to know Bill. Your helpful posts are appreciated. ;)

15. 2014/01/26
    Bill

Perhaps I misunderstood and over-reacted. Sorry if so. That said, the fact it has been discussed before simply means it is a commonly encountered issue that is not getting enough air time - or it wouldn't be a common issue. Sorry, but I didn't see the humor in any of it.

nolacs22 likes this.
  16. 2014/01/26
    Evan Omo

No problem Bill. It was just a "pulling your leg" type of comment that I made since we always seem to get into long lengthy conversations whenever you post in a thread that I too have posted in which is a good thing.

I know this type of topic is something that we need to address more often but again it wasn't my intention on changing the tone of the thread at hand.

nolacs22 likes this.
  17. 2014/01/26
    nolacs22

I surely did NOT want to start an argument,that being said,i have one more question,Norton security also optimizes C,how can i disable that also? because i want to let Windows handle windows for now?

18. 2014/01/26
    Evan Omo

Are you paying a subscription for Norton Internet Security by any chance?

19. 2014/01/26
    nolacs22

Yes I am. Why?just updated to 21.0

20. 2014/01/26
    Evan Omo

I've never used Norton but are you interested in using one of the free alternative antivirus programs and canceling your subscription? There are a couple of free antivirus programs that do just as good of a job with protecting your computer from malware when compared to Norton.

nolacs22 likes this.
  21. 2014/01/26
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Turning of Idle Time Optimizer: Norton Main Screen\Settings\Administrative Settings.

nolacs22 likes this.