1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved ATI External Event Utility EXE Module problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rick2U, 2010/03/16.

1. 2010/03/16
    Rick2U

Rick2U Well-Known Member Thread Starter

After Windows loads, the following message appears: "ATI External Event Utility EXE Module has encountered a problem and needs to close." What does this mean and how do I correct the problem? After I close the error message the computer still seems to work normally. Should I worry or forget about it?

2. 2010/03/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Update your ATI driver & Catalyst software.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/03/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Rick2u. After updating your ATI software, if you continue to experience this problem then you can disable the ATI External Event Utility Service which should get rid of the error message.

To disable the ATI External Event Utility click Start< Run and type services.msc and hit enter. When the Services Window opens highlight the ATI HotKey Poller Service. Right click it and hit properties. Set the Startup type to Disabled and click Ok. I would also Disable the ATI Smart Service as well since you won't need that running at startup either. When done close the Services Window and reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

Note: Disabling of these services shouldn't disable the functionality of the Catalyst Control Center. I have disabled these services on many systems using ATI graphics cards and haven't noticed any negative effects after disabling them.

5. 2010/03/16
    Rick2U

Rick2U Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Arie & Evan
    So far it is only a nuisance, but I'll keep in mind your suggestions if it becomes troublesome.
    By the way, I ran through the steps to disable the ATI HotKey Poller Service, but I couldn't find the ATI Smart Service. Where is it located?

Last edited: 2010/03/16
  6. 2010/03/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

The ATI Smart Service should also be listed in the Services.msc window under the ATI HotKey Poller Service. Don't worry about it if it isn't listed though.