1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

ASR BAckup but no floppy drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jon Wagner, 2003/11/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/11/30
    Jon Wagner

Jon Wagner Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    I have a laptop with a drive bay that allows me to take out the floppy and put in a 30 GB hard drive. I used the backup utility in XP but it asks for a floppy near the end of the process to store information necessary to use the Automatic Recovery System. I cannot pull out the hard drive and put in the floppy without crashing the system. Is there any way to store the ARS info on a rewritable CDROM or USB flash card or save the file on the cdrive nd put it on a floppy later. HELP.

2. 2003/11/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Computer Experience:
    Usually not enough
    Hi Jon - Welcome to the Board :)

Bad news - you need a floppy drive both to back up and restore according to all the refs I could find on MS Knowledge Base, etc.

MS Backup - which is what you are using does not write to optical drives, but there is a workaround. If you format a CD - or DVD? in InCd then Windows sees it as a drive and you can backup to an optical drive. Unfortunately a CD is nothing like large enough for an ASR - spanning of CD's is not supported and I guess your laptop does not have a DVD writer.

You may find something like Norton Ghost more useful - that will span multiple CD's

Only other suggestion is get hold of a USB floppy drive.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/11/30
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    How can I create an Automated System Recovery (ASR) set if my PC doesn't have a 3.5" disk drive?

A. An ASR set consists of a system backup and a 3.5" disk that lists the system files that are installed on the PC. If you don't have a 3.5" disk drive on your machine, you won't be able to create the ASR disk. However, you can still create an ASR disk by performing the following steps:
    1. Run the ASR Wizard, which is part of Windows Backup.
    2. After you run the ASR Wizard, start Windows Explorer.
    3. Navigate to the \%windir%\repair folder (e.g., C:\windows\repair).
    4. Copy the asr.sif and asrpnp.sif files to a network location.
    5. On a different networked computer that has a 3.5" disk drive, copy these files to a 3.5" disk and label the disk as your ASR disk.

I got this off of Windows Tips & Tricks UPDATE [XPandWin2K-TipsandTricks_UPDATE@list.winnetmag.com] newsletter

5. 2003/11/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Computer Experience:
    Usually not enough
    Nice one, Maggie - hope it works for Jon - thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.