1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Application not found when clicking on URL in Windows Mail]

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by voltigeur, 2009/08/30.

1. 2009/08/30
    voltigeur

voltigeur Well-Known Member Thread Starter

When I click on a url from an e mail, an "application not found" window comes up. (see attachment in linkhttp://voltigeur.net/application.jpg) This started 2 days ago. However, I can copy and paste the url into the address bar. The favorites urls work normally.
    While it is not a huge problem, I would like to know how to fix this. Regards

2. 2009/08/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Which email client are you using?

Go to Control Panel > Default Programs and set the default for your email program.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/08/31
    voltigeur

window mail

5. 2009/09/01
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Do you have any similar links in previous emails? Do they still work?

See the end of both links, they are similar /7WPASLD8E and /CAAB0194. They probably want to open the same program. They may want to stream video or audio. Maybe the program they want to run the streams on is a media player (Windows Media Player for example).

Try copying the web address from the email and paste it into your internet browser (example, Internet Explorer).

Matt

6. 2009/09/01
    voltigeur

I did set the Windows Mail Program to default, (the only one I have and use)but there is no change.
    This happens to every url included in an e mail regarless who send them ie various BBS's, web sites etc.
    I run regularly S&D spybot, Ad-aware, Malwarebytes plus Zone Alarm Extreme Security. No nasties were detected. This started only a few days ago, previously I could open the URLs by clicking on them. I am the only user on this PC.

7. 2009/09/02
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Have you tried this?

8. 2009/09/02
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Because they are URL's, they want to open a web browser, like Internet Explorer.

Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs tab. Under the heading Default Web Browser, you can click the button if it is not greyed out. If you want to set a different browser you will need to set it further down in Internet Programs. Check there for what is set a default for the web browser.

9. 2009/09/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Then maybe you should just use System Restore to go back to just prior to the problem occuring... Read How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Arie,
  10. 2009/09/02
    voltigeur

Yes, that is how I have been opening the web sites of the url in the e mail.

11. 2009/09/02
    voltigeur

QUOTE=Arie;474164]Then maybe you should just use System Restore to go back to just prior to the problem occuring... Read How to restore Windows XP to a previous state[/QUOTE]I tried the restore, it let me only go the latest restore point Aug. 28. it could not complete the restore. http://voltigeur.net/res.jpg[

For what ever reason, I have only been once or twice succesful with a restore. everytime I did get some message that it failed to restore to chosen date. that was with every date I chose.

Last edited: 2009/09/02
  12. 2009/09/03
    voltigeur

I am not sure exactly how I managed to resolve this issue, but it is.
    I think when I played with file association and default settings that it reverted to normal operations.:confused: