1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

'Application Data' folder missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lugwalker, 2008/05/07.

1. 2008/05/07
    Lugwalker Lifetime Subscription

Lugwalker Forever Autumn Thread Starter

I went into 'C:\Documents and Settings\User-Name' tonight so that I could access some digital camera files in 'Application data/OLYMPUS'. Unfortunately the 'Application data' folder has disappeared! Fortunately I have a shortcut on the desktop which brings me directly to the camera files, so I know that the 'Application Data/OLYMPUS' folder is still on the computer. Here's the full thread taken from the opened shortcut on the desktop: C:\Documents and Settings\User-Name\Application Data\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master\store. Would anyone know how I can get the 'Application Data' folder to re-appear in the 'C:\Documents and Settings\User-Name' folder? Thank you.

PS - I think other folders have also disappeared from the 'User Name' folder. :(

2. 2008/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

The Application Data folder is a hidden folder. Open any Explorer window and click Tools>Folder Options, select the view tab, scroll down and check 'Show hidden files and folder' then click OK to close and apply the change. If you still don't see the folder, go back to folder options and uncheck the 'Hide protected operating system files' option.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/05/07

Thanks, Noah. I did exactly as you said, at least two times, but there's still no 'Application Data' folder appearing. :(

5. 2008/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Click Start>Run and paste the following command then hit Enter.

"%userprofile%\Application Data "

Does it open the Application Data folder?

6. 2008/05/07

Yes, it certainly does! :)

7. 2008/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Now, if using the Address bar on your Windows explorer toolbar and have folder options set to show the full path (or folder options set to show the full path in the Title bar), it should currently show the path to the Application Data folder. If you click My Computer and navigate that path, is the Application Data folder visible? Do you see any folder icons in your username folder representing hidden folders, or are they all the same bold icon?

8. 2008/05/07

I've now added to the 'Use-Name' folder a shortcut to the 'Application Folder'. It's a work-around, but I'm still curious as to how it (and others) disappeared in the first place and how I could restore them.

Many thanks for your help, Noah! :D

9. 2008/05/07

After obtaining the path in the Windows Explorer toolbar and navigating through My Computer I see no 'Application Data' in 'User-Name' except the shortcut I placed there myself. It's only through that shortcut that I can get to 'Application Data'. There are no hidden folders shown. Everything is bold. I seem to remember, though, that the original 'Application Data' folder was sort of greyed-out in the 'User-Name' folder before this problem occurred.

10. 2008/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Yes, it should be greyed out, as should a number of other folders in the username directory. Try this.

Click Start>Run and type cmd then hit enter to open a command window. Type or copy/paste the following command in the window then hit enter.

attrib -h "%userprofile%\Application Data "

Refresh the username window and see if Application Data is visible.

11. 2008/05/07

Yes! The 'Application Data' is now visible in the 'User-Name' folder. :)

12. 2008/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Glad that worked, but now I'm wondering why you aren't seeing hidden files/folders after setting folder options to show them. :confused:

Click here and scroll down to line 155, left column. Click Enable/Disable Show Hidden Files/Folders and save it to your desktop, then double click the showhiddenfiles.vbs file. Click Yes to the Notice to continue then OK at the following prompts. It will tell you if Show hidden files/folders is Enabled or Disabled. Run it again to reverse the effect. See if the hidden folders are visible when enabled.

13. 2008/05/07

Wonderful news, Noah! After following your last instruction I can now see the hidden files and folders in 'User-Name'. All is restored to the original state. Thank you very much for your expertise. It's much appreciated

~Tom :D

14. 2008/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

That's good news! Happy to help. :)

Did you make the Application Data folder a hidden folder again? The following command (from a command window) will do it, if you're inclined to put things back to default. ;)

attrib +h "%userprofile%\Application Data "

Lugwalker likes this.
  15. 2008/05/07

I think I'll leave things as they are for the moment. I'm just happy that so much is now visible. :)

Thanks again!

~Tom :D