1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Anybody using Classic Shell?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Reilly, 2014/07/14.

1. 2014/07/14
    Reilly

Reilly Inactive Thread Starter

I am about to get my new 8.1 puter and I can see I will hate the UI so I'm
    looking at my options. Classic Shell looks very good but am I setting myself
    up for future problems or conflicts?

Thanks!

2. 2014/07/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Start8 is even better IMO - been using it on 8 & 8.1 since the beginning with zero issues.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/14
    Reilly

It looks good and I value your opinion. For $5 it seems hard to go wrong. I'm afraidI'm not seeing the $50 value of their Object Desktop, especially as I don't even understand the features! :)

Thanks!

5. 2014/07/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Start8 is all you need - forget their other offerings :) You did see that you can try Start8 for free?

6. 2014/07/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Reilly, I tried Classic Shell for a few weeks then tried Start8 and have been with it since. I built a new comp for the wife and put W8.1 with Start8 on it straight away and my wife can get around W8.1 easily having moved from XP!
    I think the $5.00 is well worth it. Neil. :D

7. 2014/07/14
    Reilly

Thanks guys! Neil, you hit the nail on the head, so to speak! My wife, who hopefully will not read this, was not gonna be a happy camper with 8.1. :)

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

8. 2014/07/15
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

My vote is for Classic Shell. It has more features than just tweaking the start menu. I'm even using it on Windows 7.

I've yet to use Start8, so I can't comment it on it.

9. 2014/07/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

My vote is for Start8 because it does NOT have all sorts of extra features for tweaking! While it has been awhile since I tried Classic Shell, it did not "feel" polished or as refined as Start8. Even at just $5, it has that "polished feel" I expect from a paid product that may not be seen in some free alternatives.

StartIsBack and Pokki are two more popular start screen alternatives. StartIsBack is not free, but pretty close at $3. However, like Classic Shell, it has extra features and user options many users don't need.

Regardless if you use one of these programs, or simply take the time to get used to the new UI, there really is no excuse to NOT go with Windows 8.1 on a new (or upgraded) computer. W7 is already nearly 5 years old! W8 is faster and more importantly, it is more secure (reason enough to go with W8.1).

Bill,
    Marv6 likes this.
  10. 2014/07/15
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I had to depend on Windows 8.1 for a few weeks and did not like it (even with Classic Shell). The photo viewer app is a nice addition, but overall, it felt like a breath of fresh air when I got back to using Windows 7.

11. 2014/07/15
    Reilly

Well, now yous guys are cornfusing me! That is picking some low hanging fruit so I can't blame you.
    But since I am of the Less Is More school Start8 is more appealing.

Bill, you have put my pea brain at ease about going with Win8.1 at least. Thanks!

Nobody has replied about the Bitlocker so maybe I should start a new thread about it?

Last edited: 2014/07/15
  12. 2014/07/15
    Bill

Bitlocker is not under discussion in this thread and has not been mentioned until now. If you want to discuss Bitlocker, it should be in a new thread.

13. 2014/07/15
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

I use W7 on my main computer but I put Start 8 on a friend's 8.1 machine last week. She has had the laptop for 6 months but hardly ever used it, still using her Vista desktop. I just got an e-mail today and she said she is very comfortable using the 8.1 laptop now and will probably quit using her desktop shortly.

14. 2014/07/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Reilly, I have 3 HDD's on this comp and use EasyBCD2.2 to enable booting the HDD I want to use.
    I predominantly use W8.1 with Start8 and don't have to worry about the Metro interface or the Tiles. My comp is not Touchscreen but having said that, I do use a couple of Smartphones (Huawei).
    As I said earlier, my wife has had no problems moving from XP to W8.1 and I get less calls for help from her while she's using her new comp.
    I find switching between drives keeps me up to date - but overall I love my W8.1 OS. :D It's much quicker and so far no major problems. I still have my old XP SP3 comp and 32 bit doesn't cut it for me now. ;) Neil.

15. 2014/07/16
    Bill

Yeah, 32-bit PCs needs to go away. Hardware has supported 64-bit for many years and it makes no sense to bottleneck performance with 32-bit. Some may argue that performance on systems with small amounts of RAM may suffer with a 64-bit OS. The solution is to add more RAM, not bottleneck performance.

XP needs to go away too - for security reasons alone. But, I don't want our landfills filled with hazardous waste either. So I have "repurposed" my old XP workhorse as a NAS (network attached storage) device that I use to backup my W7 and W8 systems. But to keep it secure, the XP system is blocked in my router from the Internet.

16. 2014/07/16
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I use Classic Shell and love it. Know several other people that use it also and they like it. I like the price of it also. :D

Marv6 likes this.
  17. 2014/07/16
    Bill

To be sure, I don't know of anyone who feels Classic Shell is something to avoid. It definitely works as advertised so if you are happy with it, stick with it.

18. 2014/07/17
    mickzer

mickzer Well-Known Member

Ditto...

19. 2014/07/17
    Reilly

So I've watched a few videos on using 8.1 and it is looking more inviting the way it comes!
    The way I see it if I install Classic Shell or Start8 the next Windows update will cause some kerfluffle.

KISS, baby!

20. 2014/07/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Well, I've had Start8 installed from day 1 on my laptop, nearly 2 years old, without a single issue from Windows Update - or from anything else for that matter :)

21. 2014/07/17
    Bill

For sure, those who have taken the time to get used to W8 as is, and have given it a real chance to get accustomed to it, it gets to the point where it becomes intuitive. That's the way with any major app that goes through a major revision update. Nothing new with Windows either.

But the Luddite in some of us like the status quo and are resistance to change. To the point there are still many using XP (which for security reasons, needs to be let go - or repurposed as storage without Internet access).

And security really is, or should be!!! the point here. For the best security for your computer, yourself, and your family, you go with the most recent, and most secure OS, and that is W8.1 (64-bit).

So if buying new or upgrading old, get W8.1 64-bit and gobs of RAM and a decent graphics solution (and SSDs) and you will have a screamer that keeps you safe too.

Then do what I do and make it work, look and feel the way you want it. Besides Start8 (and no problems here with it either), one of the first things I do with any of my personal systems (W7 or W8.1) is enable and load up the Quicklaunch toolbar - a necessity for me since it came bundled with IE4, maybe 5 :confused: - I think IE4 - anyway, a long time ago, regardless.

And still I know my Windows 8.1 computers are safe for my grandkids to use because they take advantage of all the advances in security features today's motherboards and the current Windows operating system support. And still look and feel and function the way I want - only faster! :D