1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

advice ... should i trust anniv update1607 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by iwilldo, 2016/12/04.

1. 2016/12/04
    iwilldo

iwilldo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am running/trialling W10 v 1511 build 10586.633 , on my "spare" 64bit Medion ( via Aldi ) laptop ...

originally did the install 28Jul2016 as Home ... took hours ,but eventually seems ok , altho still mainly using my pc W7 Ultimate ... have not been in too big a hurry to rush across the road into W10 ..

then 30Aug2016 followed legal procedure detailed by Ed Bott to up to Pro for free ..running ok..
    and same time "deferred" anniversary upgrade til I was sure all really bad bugs fixed....

that put the upgrades off for 4 months ... ie. later this month .. ( security updates still come through )

question ... ? is it possible to undo the deferral ( of the anniversary) ,and then redo for another 4 months ?

dare I trust anniversary ,and do the update to 1607 ?

I have read so much about so many failures /disappointments/ et al , regarding upping to 1607 ,that I am reluctant to give it a go ...

so .,your advice on this will be very helpful...

thanks,,,

2. 2016/12/04
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi iwilldo. Yes you shouldn't have any problems upgrading to the anniversary update of Windows 10. I would create a system image of the computer first just in case something goes wrong and I would make sure all of your data is backed up and then go ahead and update the system and see how everything goes.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/04
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There is no 100% guarantee it will install without a hitch, but there are a few 100 million other users who have updated to it with no problems.

The bigger question should be, "Can you trust your operating system to keep you safe from bad guys if you allow it go outdated? "

Bill,
  5. 2016/12/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have had no problems at all with Desktop and laptop running W10 Pro and Home with ALL the updates installed immediately they became available. Build 1607 Version 14393.447. I must be one of Bill's millions of happy users.

6. 2016/12/04
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I must be to. iwilldo: Yes you can trust the update. You should install the update.

lj50,
  7. 2016/12/05
    Bill

Yeah, after years and years of insisting I be in total control, I have finally relinquished command and just let Windows manage my updates. This often mean when I log on in the morning, I have found my system has already installed the updates and rebooted or scheduled a reboot. No regrets.

I have come to realize, the more you just stick with the defaults, the better Windows works. I'd say after 31 years (Windows 1.0 came out in Nov 1985), Microsoft has it figured out.

Bill,
    virginia likes this.
  8. 2016/12/05
    retiredlearner

I have no reason to doubt the OS manufacturer if he wants to make the system more secure or run smoother. Your Auto maker does the same thing when you get a recall notice. I have had no problems when the updates have installed as I just wait until it's finished rather than push the packet and cause a stuff up.:oops:;)

9. 2016/12/07
    iwilldo

iwilldo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks , all ...
    Apprec8 your advice :)
    So far , this is the only forum I have visited which has no reports of install or comparability problems after do the 1607 anniversary update ...
    Have also had a number of suggestions from accredited Windows journalists. , with hooks into M$oft , eg Ed Bott etc. who report many " wounded " PC's out there , and to defer til various bugs fixed ...
    Those plus reading the dramas via Google , are the source of my concerns , and is where i came in ...
    I guess I'll have clone / backup etc ( which I do regularly ) , and then white-knuckle while I give it a go ...
    Will plan to leave this coming weekend free , and to give it fa go then ...
    ;)

10. 2016/12/07
    retiredlearner

I have not had any problems with installs of W10 as I have always made sure the comps/laptops were running trouble free and up to date with MS updates and all were running MS AV (Defender). No 3rd. party AV's or anti-malware running. I just uninstalled MBAM prior and re-installed after OS was fully set up.

11. 2016/12/08
    Bill

Not sure if this is a dig at Ed Bott, or an appreciative comment but I've "known" Ed for over 10 years. And while he is an avid fan of Windows, he makes no bones about, and will not hesitate to criticize Microsoft, when due.

While there have not been many, you are incorrect to say there have been no reports on this site of problems. A couple were reported here, for example.

But I would not be discouraged even if there were many. I note someone visiting the Service Center at a Lexus dealer might get the impression Lexus cars are breaking down all the time because the garage is full of broken down Lexuses.

12. 2016/12/09
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Yes Bill, you are so right I will not go to my Doctor anymore because all his Patients are sic. :eek::eek:

13. 2016/12/09
    Bill

The sad part is, that is true. At least for hospitals.

14. 2016/12/10
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

OK here is my swill on the update thingy over all from my experience is IF your pc is fairly new enough to handle and large enough hard drive to take updates and upgrades then do it for security reasons. But IF you have small pc runnung on Emmc memory which are generally only 32g then you may want to consider metering your connection as the updates can sometimes exceed the size of your available space and freeze you into oblivion. :)

virginia likes this.
  15. 2016/12/20
    JohnInLoudon

JohnInLoudon Well-Known Member

I'm new to this forum, and came across it while troubleshooting a problem with the 1607 Anniversary Upgrade that installed on November 17, 2016. I noticed that my Dell desktop would restart if left idle for an extended time, so l opened Event Viewer to look for a cause. Saw a bunch of Event 41 Kernal-Power Stop Errors, with a Bugcheck Code 126 (7E) and a PowerButtonTimestamp of 0. I ran WinDBG to see the source of the bugcheck 126 and it showed that the Nvidia graphics driver was the likely culprit. It appears that the driver was installed from Windows Update, which now does third-party drivers. I removed the Nvidia driver and Windows installed a generic MS driver and all was well until the next reboot when Windows Update reinstalled the same Nvidia driver. I then repeated the removal of the driver and Windows repeated the install of the generic driver, and I then did the "metered connection" thing. After a few weeks Nvidia released a fixed driver and I installed it, and Windows Update has left it alone. Long story, I know, but I wanted to point out that the update releases have impacted some people, and if those people aren't into the bits 'n bytes it's been an unpleasant ride. With the latest 1607 Update, there is no update control for Windows Home users and little for Windows Pro users. I think that most of the time Windows As A Service will work fine, but when it doesn't, expect some unpleasantness for we folks in Current Branch.
    If you're not a bits 'n bytes person, try this if you're seeing Windows Stop Errors (Blue Screen):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

16. 2016/12/20
    retiredlearner

Hi JohnInLondon, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :) In W10 > Start > Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options > make sure you check the setting you want in choosing how to install updates. The only 3rd. party update I get from MS, is Adobe which is part of the OS Apps.

17. 2016/12/20
    JohnInLoudon

JohnInLoudon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome.
    I Think your options depend on the Edition, Version, and OS Build you're running. I have Windows 10 Home Edition, Version 1607, and OS Build 14393.576. There has been about a dozen Builds of Version 1607. What do you have?
    On my machine there's nothing in Settings-Advanced Options that allows me to disable Windows Upgrade from loading 3'rd party device drivers. Now, I can reach a menu that claims to do that at Control Panel-System-Advanced System Settings, which brings up System Properties. There click Hardware-Device Installation Settings. There I can select Device Installation Settings and answer "No" to the question: Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons for your devices? I checked the "No" box, and Windows Update continued to update my Nvidia device driver. There doesn't seem to be anything easy about this.