1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Advice on alternative routers to the Huawei HG635

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by alboy, 2018/03/15.

1. 2018/03/15
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am using a Huawei HG635 router but the performance is very hit or miss can anybody suggest a reasonable priced alternative that is guaranteed to improve my internet speed and Wi-Fi performance ?

many thanks for any suggestions

2. 2018/03/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

How do you know your problem is the router?

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/03/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2018/03/17
    alboy

Yes that is my router I am on a copper cable into the home , but I presume I am on a fibre cable into the telephone exchange, the quoted speed should be 38Mbps and I was getting that speed up till a couple of weeks ago it then fell to 31Mbps average I have been in touch with my ISP and they have updated the Router to the latest firmware and made some other changes but the speed has not increased at all. I am beginning to suspect the router as it gets many negative reports on my Isp's forums. My pc is connected to the router using an Ethernet cable so it is not a Wi-Fi problem.

6. 2018/03/17
    Bill

Typically fiber is much faster than 38Mbps. Of course it depends on the plan you have, however.

I only have copper to the house and I get this:
    [​IMG]

You will have to read you contract too. Many say things like guaranteed speeds "up to" 38Mbps - which is what it says on the link retiredlearner included.

Your Ethernet speeds is where you need to start. Once they are good, you can move on to wireless.

Note that Ethernet cables are low tech and not very robust but critical network devices. They can only take so many yanks and trip-overs - sometimes not even one before being damaged. So swap the Ethernet cable between your computer and router and see what happens. If using a modem, replace that cable too. If connected directly to your phone line, replace that cable as well.

Ethernet ports can go bad too so try another board.

Bill,
  7. 2018/03/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Not necessarily so. I am on Fibre-Optic cable to a cabinet 400 metres away and then the signal goes by Microwave to the exchange.
    The "Plan" you are on with your Telco is what will determine your download/upload speeds.
    My plan with my Telco is up to 100Mps but I rarely see above 50 Mps.
    I'm happy with it as the clarity over the landline phone is about 200% better than it was before.
    The bottom line is - you get what you pay for. I get 80GB's Broadband and phone for $75.00 per month.
    Do a Google for what causes slow Broadband in the home and that will give you an idea where to start looking and checking.

8. 2018/03/19
    alboy

The router is only a couple of months old and the Ethernet cable has not been disturbed since it was installed and was then giving me 38Mbps with a guaranteed minimum from my Isp of 35Mbps I am now getting about 31Mbps as an average speed regardless of the time of day.

9. 2018/03/19
    Bill

If you have a guaranteed minimum of 35 and only getting 31Mbps, call back your ISP and complain.

Bill,
  10. 2018/03/20
    alboy

I have and they are looking into the problem will let you know what the outcome is, I would still like some suggestions of possible alternative routers if I decide to go that route

11. 2018/03/20
    Bill

12. 2018/04/09
    alboy

I have been given a D Link DSL-3782 by my Isp to try as a replacement on connecting it the speed jumped to 37-38Mbps so I thought that was the problem solved but on trying it the next morning the speed had dropped again to about 30-31Mbps and has stayed about that speed until now , today an engineer called and has diagnosed a problem with my telephone line, I am getting a visit Friday to see if they can locate the problem !!!

13. 2018/04/09
    Bill

I wonder how they isolated it "your" telephone line.

To me, "your" line is the drop from the pole to your house, or the j-box to your house if underground. From there back to the DCO (dial central office) is the telephone company's.

Keep us posted.

14. 2018/04/09
    alboy

I was told by the computer tec that came to my house today that the line had failed one of the Two tests that they had tried apparently it had failed to detect my router at the exchange which is a suprise as I still have a broadband connection so my router is detecting the vdsl broadband connection although it is still well below the guaranteed minimum speed, I am just pleased that they have found a problem that may account for the reduction in speed that I am getting I will know more on Friday as it will be a Telecom engineer who will now continue with the problem.

15. 2018/04/09
    Bill

Ah! Sorry. I did not realize that by "called" you meant he actually came to the house. That make sense then.

16. 2018/04/09
    alboy

Thanks for your interest Bill I will let you know how it goes on Friday

17. 2018/04/13
    alboy

Stayed in all day but no engineer, gave Isp a ring and was told that the tec who called Monday did not complete the report properly so they have re-scheduled for this coming Monday, spent an hour and 15min on the phone to sort it out let us hope Mondays appointment solves the problem as I have no more hair to pull out.

18. 2018/04/13
    Bill

Sure hope it is a different tech who comes out as the first one seems incompetent on several fronts. :(

19. 2018/04/18
    alboy

They did not turn up this Monday either, after 1.5hrs on the phone they have re-booked for this Friday have aged 10yrs in the last week they have offered me £2.50 in compensation !!! the plot continues

20. 2018/04/18
    Bill

£2.50? Wow. How generous! :rolleyes:

21. 2018/04/22
    alboy

Actually the Openreach engineer did turn up on Friday and changed the master telephone socket for a newer type and it seems to have resolved the problem for now I am back to about 37Mbps which is close to the promised speed so hopefully I can let what hair I have grow back. Thanks for your interest Bill and retiredlearner us old boys have to support each other.