1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Address Bar on Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bednetty, 2003/01/17.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

bednetty Inactive Thread Starter

How do I delete all or some of the many, many addresses that are stored in the Address Bar on my Taskbar. I once knew but it has now slipped my mind and there are far too many URL's on it

Last edited: 2003/01/17
  2. 2003/01/17
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Hi bednetty
    Welcome to the boards. Have you tried right clicking on an empty space on your taskbar......choosing properties.... then the advanced tab, and clicking on the clear button?

Daizy

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

Thank you for the responce, Daisy. On Win XP when I right click an empty space on the toolbar and choose properties I don't have an "advanced option." On the Taskbar I am only given some "Taskbar Appearance" options to check (and none concern the address bar) and 2 notification area items to check (show clock and hide icons)

5. 2003/01/17
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

That will clear when you dump the Browser History. Right click IE Desktop Icon > Clear History or alternately Open Browser and click TOOLS > Internet Options > Clear history.

cheers.

6. 2003/01/17
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Oops!
    Thanks for the catch again Zephyr! :)

Daizy

7. 2003/01/17
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

Your way was nearly correct Daizy.

You can actually right click the open Taskbar > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Advanced > Clear List. Voila!

It's just easier the other way. :) It always my pleasure to assist you since you are so helpful to others.

Cheers. :)

8. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

Many thanks to both of you, Daisy and Zephyr. Going the Taskbar and Start Menu way clears both the URL's and the most recently opened documents but not the History. Going the Internet Options way clears the History and URL's but not the most recently opened documents. Next time I can take my pick. Anyway it worked and I'm happy. I had hoped I could clear them one at a time so I could keep the ones I use all the time. glad to have found BBS and you two, now I am at ease about future problems.

What??? Two SuperGreeks?

Ed (the Ed half of bednetty, the other half being Betty)

9. 2003/01/17
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Fabulous news Ed! Congratulations on getting it sorted.

And Zephyr.....as always..... you're too much! :)

Daizy

10. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

Thank you , Daizy, and please forgive my error as I see that you two are Geeks and not Greeks. Here I thought I had overseas pen pals.lol

Over and out
    Ed

11. 2003/01/17
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

:D Ed. I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out. :D

12. 2003/01/17
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

ED, You actually can do those URL's individually if you're comfortable editing the Registry. Just go Start > Run > Regedit > and drill down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

You'll see them listed on the right side. Highlight the one you want to off, and press delete. Repeat for others.

If you mess up the numerical sequence you'll need to rename the remaining data strings numerically again (url1,url2,...). May be more trouble than it's worth but just thought I'd mention it.

They'll be gone when you next open the Browser.

Then if you also want to individually clear items from the "My Recent Documents" list on the Start menu, just right click the one and select delete. Instant service there!

:)

13. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

Thanks for that tip also. If I mess up the numerical order is it necessary to renumber them? I mean what if I don't? Will they just be in a different sequence but open anyway or will it be necessary to renumber them to make them work?

Ed

14. 2003/01/17
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

IE tends to ignore anything after the sequence breaks but it may be version specific. I know it does on IE6 so you'll be affected. Try it and see. You can always go back and rename them with proper order numbers.

Time is of the essence though. If you add a typed url it will be saved and doing so will reorder the sequence, deleting the old misordered items completely.

15. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

Ed

16. 2003/01/17
    Newt

Newt Inactive

If he has a few URLs he wants to keep around - how about building a little .reg thingy with those in it so after deleting all the temp junk, just run the file and voila, the desired URLs are back and ready for action.

17. 2003/01/17
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

That'll work Newt Something like:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]
    "url1 "= "http://www.sec.gov/litigation/admin/34-41695.htm "
    "url2 "= "http://www.fidelity.com/ "
    "url3 "= "http://www.google.com/ "

Works for me! Save it with a .reg and away you go!

18. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

Would you explain that please Newt, it just blew right on by me.

bednetty

19. 2003/01/17
    bednetty

I think I had better pass on that one Zypher. :confused:

20. 2003/01/17
    Zephyr

Zephyr Inactive

Do this Ed, edit the key as previously outlined, dumping the losers and then re-numbering the remainder. Close Regedit and open IE. Check it to be sure the address bar contains all the url's that you want to save.

Close IE and then open a Regedit session and drill to that key again and export it to your favorite location, assigning a name like MyFaves.reg.

That will be your Backup for the key. Now or hereafter, you can edit the Key as previously outlined and delete all entries. That will blank the address bar memory completely. Then double click the MyFaves.reg file and it will enter your saved favorites back into that key location.

The only thing you must remember is, it's necessary to clear the old key entries before running the .reg file you saved. It works great.

Cheers.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.