1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Activating Win 8 Media Center

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by EL CONJUNTO, 2013/01/25.

1. 2013/01/25
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been using the Win 8 Media center for some time now. Today I received an email from Microsoft saying " This is a reminder that you must activate your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key** by January 31, 2013 ". It included my free key.
    I thought that I had already activated it. When I tried to follow the instructions to activate it I was unable to get to the "Add features to Win 8 screen ". Is this email just a reminder and since I thought it was already activated then is that why I can't get to the screen to enter my key?

2. 2013/01/25
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

I`m pretty sure its just a routine E-mail - I received one for my installation - if the media ceter was not activated , my guess is it would not load at all & mine does. -Have you tried to use it?

Edit:- Whoops - you did say you`d used it....ignore me -I can`t read.... :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/26
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yes, this is a just reminder. Any product keys not activated before 1/31 are set to expire (at least that's what I've heard).

It does make sense as probably there are people that have hoarded a bunch of keys intend on reselling them once Microsoft start charging for the Windows 8 Media Center.

They should have had someone from the community look at the email though. They just should have added:

Arie,
  5. 2013/01/26
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been using the Media Center to watch dvd's. I finally checked my Windows Activation and it says "Current Windows 8 Pro with Media Center ". And it shows the last 5 digits of my key (the same as in their reminder email). I guess that is why I can't get to the screen "Add Features" as per their instructions.

E MAIL:

"Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:
    Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use."

I guess they should have added a note to disregard this if you have already installed Media Center.
    Thanks

6. 2013/01/27
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.