1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

ACPI/PNP0501\1 on Com 1 - PROBLEM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mikel T, 2003/12/01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/12/01
    Mikel T

Mikel T Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently tried to install an external modem on the only serial port I have (com 1) and an error message came up saying "port already open ".
    I looked in System Information/Components/Ports/Serial and on
    Com 1, there, under PNP Device ID is listed: ACPI/PNP0501\1 and
    the port is BUSY. There's no option to move or disable this device so, what can I do? My serial port is useless.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

2. 2003/12/01
    Newt

Newt Inactive

If you are up to it (fairly techie solution) you can take a look Here.

This is confusing though. I'd have expected com1 to be set up in the registry on
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0501/0
    rather than on 1.

Do you have some sort of hardware connected to the PC that isn't XP certified? Older stuff maybe? Some older APM devices can make ACPI go a little bit nuts.

APM = Advanced Power Management (older systems)
    ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (newer setup for power management)

More information Here.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/12/01
    Mikel T

Hi Newt,

No older hardware is installed. I am using USB for everything.

Mikel T

5. 2003/12/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

May have to take a couple of whacks at this one.

First thing to try is in the BIOS. Disable the com ports there and reboot to make sure that the OS has full control over them.

If that doesn't help, post back.

Newt,
  6. 2003/12/02
    Mikel T

I have 3 possible choices in my BIOS, Enable, Disable and Auto.
    If I disable the serial port (no com port is shown in this BIOS) then
    I get an error in the program, I need to use, that says, "An error occurred opening Com 1 at marker 7. The error message is 'Invalid Port Number'.
    If I set the port to Auto, I receive the same error message as when I Enable the serial port that says, "Port Already Open'.
    Now, what I haven't done, yet, is uninstall Com 1 in Control Panel and then reinstall it. Or let Windows find it whan I do an Add Hardware. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for helping and BTW, the fishing is good here. I live on the Sacramento River, about 35 miles down river from Sacramento, CA.

Later,
    Mikel T

7. 2003/12/03
    Newt

Newt Inactive

I think I'll move this thread to the hardware section. It is sorta not fish nor fowl.

I haven't tried with XP but with 2K you could delete the com ports in device mangler, disable the com ports in BIOS and (I think - been a while), reboot and Windows would build a software-only com port it was happy with.

But lets see what the hardware gurus have to say. I can barely even change the oil in my truck.

As to the fishing - wish I were there. We are having a nasty spell of cold and stuff falling from the sky that, in normal times, would be rain but now is sorta cold and harder than rain. :eek:

The fish don't seem to like it any better than I do. :D

Newt,
  8. 2003/12/03
    clydeo22

clydeo22 Inactive

Hi mikeT- try using the Add New Hardware applet in Control Panel and install another COM port. Then install your modem on COM2. Clydeo22
    Edit: I should explain that a COM port is not the same as a serial port. A serial port is a physical thing, a nine pin male connector. A COM port is not. A COM port is a combination of an I/O address and an IRQ. So while you may have only one serial port and only one COM port installed, you can easily add another COM port. The ACPI is using a COM port, not your serial port. So, what we need to do is to install some more resources for your modem to grab. In the Add New Hardware applet, run the wizard. Windows will fail to see any new hardware so check, "select my device from a list." Find the COM and LPT port entry and select it and select COM2. It should install COM2 using I/O address 2F8 and using IRQ3. Remove your modem in Device Manager if it is installed and reboot. Then reinstall your modem. It should install on COM2 or Windows may shuffle the ACPI device to COM2 but either way, your modem installation should be successful. Good luck and sorry if my initial post was vague. Clydeo22.

Last edited: 2003/12/04
  9. 2003/12/04
    Mikel T

Thank you Newt and Clydeo.. I finally got it working. I uninstalled
    Com 1 and that freed up the port. I then plugged the modem in and let windows find the "new" hardware.
    Seems so simple, now. It had me quite puzzled for awhile.

Thanks again,

Mikel T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.