1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Acer Aspire One wont boot up no dvd/cd slot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vanryker, 2010/10/13.

1. 2010/10/13
    vanryker

vanryker Inactive Thread Starter

I have an acer aspire ZG5 computer that stopped working last night. Blue screen of death. using windows xp
    Technical information:
    stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x89889180, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

I am using a different computer to contact everyone as the acer is not working. Sorry to ask but I am not very computer savvy, figured out how to read blue screen message and now it is frozen on the acer. Everywhere I have searched for answer tells you to download a registry patrol etc. but I can't get windows to even start so how would I download anything when the computer will not even start. Gets to windows xp logoand blue screen flashes for 1 sec and disappears. Can't start in safe mode or anything etc. Please I am begging anyone for help. From searching on internet seems alot of people get this. I finally managed to try to do system restore, it started and stopped with the message NTLDR is missing press control, alt, delete it shuts down and try to run but then same message appears.

Thank you for listening and any help would be extremely helpful as my son really needs this little computer to work for school work.:(

Last edited: 2010/10/13
  2. 2010/10/13
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

This is the guide for using a facility called CHKDSK which will scan the hard drive and should correct this problem. But you will need a windows xp disc and a cd drive.

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097#CD

Your subject title says no DVD/CD slot, that being the case I can't see how to get started on this the way the computer is behaving. Does it have a floppy drive as that could allow the use of an emergency boot disc which you will have to make on another computer.

The only other option here is to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer, you could then recover important files and wipe the drive clean. After that it should be possible to re-install windows and visit the manufacturers site to download all the drivers. Again though, an OS disc will be needed and a 'Laptop Hard Drive Adaptor' which will allow connection into a desktop computer.

If you can borrow a disc which matches the version of windows for which you have a 'Product Key' that whould do the job.

If you need more help please ask.

Last edited: 2010/10/13

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/10/15
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I investigated making a boot USB memory stick, there are several ways and it might work or might not. Then you would need utilities on it to try and repair the system.

If you need the data, back it up as suggested and then want to "restore" the original system, here are the instructions.

They are in the User Guide.

Matt

5. 2010/10/15
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

One other option is to use this free software to make (on another computer) a windows installer on a flash drive. This will require a 4GB flash drive and a windows disc and will avoid having to remove the hard drive. It may also be possible to run a repair install from this which will save all the existing software and data.

Let us know how you get on.

http://techblissonline.com/make-windows-usb-boot-disk-for-xp-7-and-vista/

6. 2010/10/15
    vanryker

Did all this

Thank you for your post I was able to do all this previously to posting my original help post. It went into the recovery mode ran for abit and then gave me the message NTLDR is missing press control, alt, delete it shuts down and then the same message appears again saying NTLDR is missing press control, alt, delete and no matter how many times you shut it down same thing comes up.

I called Acer by the way they are useless. They sell this little thing with no dvd/cd slot and then tell you to send them 20 dollars for a recovery disk. For what? I asked, well to restore system to original factory settings. They know there is no where to put it so I say, and how do you expect me to do this. On an external hard drive hook it up to acer. If I had this much money and time and knowledge I would have done this already or would have just thrown this thing in the garbage and bought another one.

I don't have another computer running xp so I have no disk. I don't have the knowledge to take a computer apart to access its hard drive like the one I am typing on a Toshiba (like I really want 2 laptops not working). This one is on Vista. Their solution send it to them. Pay the shipping and handling and $99.00 US for it to be repaired. This computer only cost just under $300.00.

What I would really like to know is there anyway to download something onto a usb flash stick and stick it into the acer to fix this NTLDR missing message?

Thank you very much for all your suggestions I am hoping somebody knows something because after searching the net for days it seems I am not by myself on this problem.
    Sincerely Vanryker. :confused: :mad: :eek: :( :eek: everything if you know what I mean.

7. 2010/10/15
    vanryker

no wp disk, computer came without one as no dvd/cd slot

This would be great if I had an XP disc. Thanks but, well I don't know what to say but help.

8. 2010/10/15
    vanryker

tried to force into erecovery again goes through the motions and then stops message 0xf0000005. Hope this helps anyone trying to help me.

9. 2010/10/15
    vanryker

W
    Download Restore Disk Recovery CD Easily Fix Any Computer

| Restore Disk |

acer erecovery error 0xf0000005
    Acer eRecovery e-Recovery D2D Step By Step Help Guide Manual Windows XP Vista Docs
    -> Acer eRecovery or D2D Documents Step By Step Help Windows Vista XP Acer eRecovery or D2D Documents Step By Step HelpYou do not need to purchase this item it is free on our forums using the link above! Acer Aspire Veriton Travelmate Power manual guide information and passwords for Acer e-recovery Acer eData Security Management Acer eLock Management Acer eNMSetup Acer ePerformance M.....lots more acer erecovery error 0xf0000005 information here.

Download or CD Restore Disks Avaliable

ould this work
    http://restore-disk.com/restore/acer/erecoveryacer/acer-erecovery-error-0xf0000005.html

10. 2010/10/15
    vanryker

Information Related To:
    acer aspire one xp recovery disk
    Page 1 of 20:
    Acer aspire one XP Restore Disk
    -> Acer aspire one XP Windows Restore DiskThis is an automated aspire one XP restore disk. The aspire one drivers are supplied in a special windows friendly format. This means that your Acer aspire one XP Laptop will automatically find and install all the drivers for your system, with hardly any user interaction - this will be needed if you upgrade your windows OS and it has not found your device driver for the Laptop just wont work (with errors like no sound no internet or bad graphics) then this is exactly what this Disk has been designed to fix repair. You can also use this Disk Disk If you just ne.....lots more acer aspire one xp recovery disk information here.

Sorry previous one was for vista will this work if downloaded onto usb flash and then stuck into acer and get rid of NTLDR missing and let me do system restore? Thanks

11. 2010/10/15
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I received this from Vanryker

12. 2010/10/15
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Vanryker:
    You may want to walk slowly here. If your son has important schoolwork on that machine, it is going to disappear if you invoke an Alt F10 command at startup. On the other hand, if there is no real issue with any of the data on this machine, following the advice in Mattman's boxed quote should be sufficient to resolve your problem as it pertains to the operating system. Please note, if you follow this path, you will also need to reinstall any software that you or your son installed after you got this machine.

Now, let's confuse the issue. The stop error your machine is throwing may be indicative of a corrupted recovery partition. One can Google the error and pick up plenty of reading material specific to Acer. (Misery loves company).

If you have a corrupted recovery partition, it might be prudent to seek local assistance. The bigger question then becomes, what caused this corruption? Is it a hardware failure or is it software or malware related? In this case, a qualified technician may be able to save you considerable time and money. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying this is your problem but am instead trying to provide you with a little food for thought.

Markmadras has also given you some excellent advice but you are still going to need drivers and it's quite possible that your hard drive isn't going to be recognized, thereby negating the validity of this approach without additional software.

Noting that your experience level has been self-categorized, you are the best person to decide whether to go it alone or to seek local assistance. Regardless, its going to be a valuable learning experience as long as you keep both eyes open and temper your approach with a certain amount of caution.

It appears that you are in good hands with regard to the advice you have already received.

;)

13. 2010/10/15
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Excellent advise and words of wisdome from Rockster2U.

After some considerable searching I have found a guide and free download to make an Emergency Boot Disc that can be put on a USB flash drive. All you will need to buy is the appropriate Flash Drive.

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/2009-06/msg02917.html

I can't guarantee this will work but it should again give you access to the desktop, giving another oppotunity to try and run the recovery facility.

I would also suggest you try to run chkdsk as per the guide in the link I gave in post No2. Halfway down the page you will find the instruction to do this from the desktop. This facility can take over an hour to run and may often appear to have frozen, be patient and let it finish.

Let us know how it goes and shout if you need any help.

Last edited: 2010/10/16
  14. 2010/10/15
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

You have some quality information now ;)

I have come across problems running the installation from the recovery partition quite a few times. I have wondered if the recovery partition was corrupted. On the occasions where the recovery process actually ran, but like yours, Windows would not start, I suspected that the partition information for the C: drive was corrupted, so I used the Windows CD to delete the C: partition and remake it. Using the Windows CD has been the only method that has worked for me, I tried some third party partition utilities, but none of those have worked. Don't use Vista either, the XP system won't recognise the Vista partition.

Before suspecting the that the recovery partition is corrupted, I delete and remake the C: partition (drive).

As you say, the machine was not very expensive to begin with. If you decide it is not worth spending a lot of money getting it repaired, look at taking the hard disk drive out (it should be relatively simple) and connecting it into a Windows XP tower, going to Disk Management and there you will be able to delete and remake the netbook's Windows drive. (Be very careful because the hidden partition will probably appear in the list of drives as well as the drives on the tower.) After that, try putting it back and running the recovery installation again.

These methods are a little beyond a basic "press this button and it will be fixed ". Your options seem to be to spend the $'s to use the Acer method or take it to a technician. If you want to try avoiding the costs, "seek local assistance" or look at going beyond your comfort zone to tackle it yourself.

Matt