1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista ACER 6920G Keyboard and Touchpad not working

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by PistolPete13, 2009/05/11.

1. 2009/05/11
    PistolPete13

PistolPete13 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,
    My neighbours computer is an Acer Aspire 6920G that is 9 months old, it has just come back from the store she brought it at and still has the same issue.
    It runs Vista Home Premium, which I am not familiar with.
    The machine boots fine, but does not recognise the keyboard, touchpad, and now has no sound drivers or options.
    The machine was not sold with a Vista disc, just a generic recovery disc that does not allow me to use the SFC /scannow or repair console.
    I am familiar with XP to intermediate, but never used Vista before.

Can anyone please help

2. 2009/05/12
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Search in Help and Support for "driver ". I suggest you try rolling back the drivers for the touchpad and maybe the keyboard, but don't use the option "update" (to find drivers on the internet), if you want to find new drivers, get them from the Acer website
    http://www.acer.com.au/acer/service...ryISOCtxParam=AU&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3559666452
    Check that all the drivers are showing, not just the new ones (there is a drop-down box).

Get the chipset drivers first. There are Synaptics drivers for the touchpad (and they may also cover the keyboard). You might want to try uninstalling any Synaptics listing in Control Panel -> Programs and Features first (and reboot). Windows should have standard drivers for the touchpad and it might work (basically) without the Synaptics drivers installed. The Synaptics drivers will add features for "tapping" and scrolling, etc.

Check Windows Updates if it is set to get drivers automatically (turn it off) and tell her to get drivers from Acer if she wants to update them.

I stay away (uninstall or disable) Fingerprint software/drivers if they are not used. I think can cause problems.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/05/13
    PistolPete13

PistolPete13 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Matt,
    I have looked at the audio drivers, and they could not be rolled back. so I deleted them and downloaded from Acer. I noted that this Realtek driver was the same version as what is on the hard drive in the acer folder that has all the installation driver packages. I have installed the drivers that have been downloaded to no avail.
    When I check the properties box in Device manager for the audio drivers, i get the message " Windows could not initialize the driver Code - 37 "
    I have noticed that this is the same for a few other items in device manager.
    When I disable the devices in device manager, and uninstall, they are automatically back on restart, no need to rescan for hardware changes, and they are still in error code 37.
    And no adding new hardware, which I found strange.
    I have uninstalled the Synoptics software through Program features, rebooted, and still no touch pad, even after going to add new hardware.
    This one is strange.
    Unfortunately, the finger print software is active, and the hubbie is 1200 kilometers away at the moment, I am working with his password. I can not find anyway to disable the fingerprint identification.
    One strange thing to note though, the finger print scanner now works after again removing the audio drivers from the system.
    Regards
    Pete

5. 2009/05/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Pete

My first reaction to your thread is this ......
    The laptop should have been taken straight back to the store - it is presumably under warranty and at present the 'goods are not fit for purpose'. It rather sounds as if the store did nothing at all - were the keyboard and touchpad working in the store?

You are clearly a good neighbour, but trying to sort out the problems, which do not appear to be user induced, is perhaps a step too far.

I am curious to know how you are able to use the laptop without touchpad or keyboard -are you using external keyboard and mouse?

I wonder if the cable to the keyboard has become detatched along with the connection to the touchpad. Opening up the laptop will almost certainly void the warranty.

There may be more serious hardware problems either with the motherboard or the hard drive.

I suggest you download SIW and identify the hard drive and then run the manufacturer's disk diagnostics on it .....

Disk Diagnostic Software ....

ExcelStore

Hitachi/IBM

Samsung

Seagate, Maxtor, Quantum

Western Digital

If you can gain access to the RAM without breaking any seal I would reseat it.

If push comes to shove copy all the important data off the computer and use the recovery disk to restore back to factory gate condition.

If the problems remain they are hardware related and should be dealt with under warranty.