1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Account Unknown", what's that?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IvanH, 2010/05/20.

1. 2010/05/20
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

From a route security check to the Pictures folder in Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, the Security tab shows that the folder (and all sub-folders) has, under the Group or user names, an "Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-3593861076-3621222202-292099478-1004)" appears with "Read & execute, List folder contents and Read" permissions allowed.

The Account Unknown account is not a user account. And there is Norton Internet Security 2010 updated and the NIS File check does not reveal abnormality.

What is it?

2. 2010/05/21
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Accounty unknown is usually a leftover from a previous account that was removed or a leftover admin account from a previous version of Windows if an upgrade installation was performed.

You can use the Advanced properties to take ownership of such directories, You should also be able to remove the Unknown account using the built in Admionistrator account once it's been enabled. I'm not sure if Users are available in Comp Mgmt console on versions of Win 7 less than Pro version.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/05/21
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you Tony.

I have removed the "Unknown Account" user account from the Pictures folder and sub-folders.

How can I be sure that all other folders and files have the Unknown Account removed?