1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

8.1 won't update

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Jack57, 2014/07/14.

1. 2014/07/14
    Jack57

Jack57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Upgraded to Windows 8.1 in January on a desktop and two laptops. No problems until now. One laptop is used very little but I still like to keep it updated and use it as a backup for the desktop. I turned it on yesterday to update the malware, ccleaner and several other programs and to charge the battery. I have it set to automatically check for and install windows updates. When I looked to see if any windows updates were pending it showed 38 important updates but they had not been installed. I clicked on install and the computer showed " Downloading 38 updates (0 KB total, 0% complete) ". The computer remained showing the same thing for an Hour and a half until I finally hit the "stop download" box. Today I turned the computer on again and get the same thing. It tells me I have 38 important updates and when I hit install I get the " Downloading 38 updates (0 KB total, 0% complete ). It has been over two hours now and still no progress. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jack

2. 2014/07/14
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Jack57. Windows 8.1 has been known to do this when downloading updates. Try just selecting a couple of updates at a time and see if they download successfully. If that doesn't work then you can download the updates manually from the Microsoft website and install them that way.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Evan. Just do small numbers at a time. You can usually select 5 or 6 and they should then Download and install. It will take a little longer than normal. Neil.;)

5. 2014/07/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I see this problem with several of my computers (W7 and W8) that are not used every day. What happens (I believe!), in particular with the computers that have not been updated for more than a couple weeks, is there are multiple updated files for the same issue. That is, there are updates to the updates that suddenly need updating - and they are all waiting to be installed at once! Not good (I'm guessing!).

So what I always do with these computers is tell Windows Update to "Check for updates" again. This clears the current Windows Update list, rescans your computer, then downloads only the most recent updates needed, and in the right order. I often see the numbers change when I do this, and typically the updates go without a hitch.

I also believe if you have WU check for other Microsoft products (like Office) too, this problem can occur more frequently - but again, I see this only on my computers that are not used daily and may be several weeks behind.

Bill,
  6. 2014/07/15
    Jack57

Just an update. This morning I tried the suggested fixes, no luck. I thought of System Restore and maybe that might help. System Restore said it could not roll back the computer to an earlier time and it would reset to the current settings. After going to the current settings a restart was required. Upon shutdown prior to restart the computer installed 37 updates and restarted normally. I figured that the problem was solved so I manually checked for updates. Only one important update. I thought WOW, great no more problems. Well I was wrong. The update is security update KB2962140 from 5 May 2014. This thing will not install. I ran every troubleshooter in windows and tried every suggested fix from running all the scans for problems to suggested fixes through the Command prompt. No luck, the update will attempt to install and say "Failed: 1 update" Error code 80073712 and then the troubleshooter suggests fixes that I have attempted many times. I think I may just hide the update, ignore it and see if future updates will install automatically. Your thoughts? Jack

7. 2014/07/15
    Jack57

Final update. After rereading the replies posted here Evan suggested downloading and updating manually. I thought what could it hurt to try that for the remaining problem update. Up pops the Windows Update Standalone Installer window saying " The update is not applicable to your computer ". I'm not sure how it was downloaded if it's not for my computer. I'm not going to complain. Problem solved. Thanks for the help, Jack

8. 2014/07/15
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

You are welcome. Glad everything is working as expected. :)